Re: DAML-S and the UDDI initiative

From: Massimo Paolucci <paolucci@icarus.cimds.ri.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 11:13:53 -0400
To: Erik Hellman <Erik.Hellman@bth.se>
Cc: www-ws@w3.org

Erik Hellman writes:

 > Hi!
 >
 > This is a simple question that might result in a quite long answer. ;)

I will try to give you a short answer to your good questions.

DAML-S vs UDDI

There is no direct connection between UDDI and DAML-S, so you will not
find anywhere in their documents references to one or the other.
Nevertheless,  there is an encoding of DAML-S Profiles into UDDI
records, such an encoding is described in [1].  Using that encoding
you can register DAML-S descriptions as UDDI records in UDDI.

Also, soon we will release a DAML-S registry that will use the
semantic matching capabilities of DAML-S [2] to enhance UDDI.  The
registry is under development, but the first version will be out
soon.

A DAML-S API for DAML-S based on Jena will hopefully available by the
end of the month.  It is currently under test.

Let me know if you have additional questions,

--- Massimo

[1] M. Paolucci, T. Kawamura, T. R. Payne, K. Sycara
    Importing the Semantic Web in UDDI
    http://pcsiwa12.rett.polimi.it/~pernici/WSeBT/program.html

[2] Massimo Paolucci, Takahiro Kawamura, Terry R. Payne, Katia Sycara;
    "Semantic Matching of Web Services Capabilities." Forthcoming in Proceedings
    of the 1st International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC2002)
    available from http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~softagents/publications.html