RE: Async Web Services

From: Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:14:18 -0400
To: "Naresh Agarwal" <nagarwal@in.firstrain.com>
Cc: "Krishna Sankar" <ksankar@cisco.com>, www-ws@w3.org

It isn't at all clear to me what is necessary in WSDL to "describe" a
SOAP1.2
MEP. I suppose that some of the defined properties might need to be exposed
(like reqres:role, reqres:immediateDestination URI and possibly web:method)
but it is my
understanding that the MEPs are intended to be "described" by means of a
formal
specification such as that found in the SOAP1.2 Part 2 Adjuncts
specification [1] and [2].

Thus, WSDL shouldn't need much more than a means of identifying the MEP
in play for a given port by means of its assigned URI and any properties
that might
apply.

Cheers,

Chris

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-soap12-part2-20020626/#singlereqrespmep
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-soap12-part2-20020626/#soapresmep

                      "Naresh Agarwal"
                      <nagarwal@in.firs        To:       "Krishna Sankar" <ksankar@cisco.com>, <www-ws@w3.org>
                      train.com>               cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: Async Web Services
                      www-ws-request@w3
                      .org

                      07/08/2002 11:15
                      AM

Hi Krishna,

>            If I am correct the only two modes of operation are fire and
> forget or req-response. Asynchronous web services or more precisely,
> stateful web services require some sort of correlation between
> invocations. ebXML has the conv id which could be used for this. Most
> probably the future web services interactions would be based
> on SOAP 1.2
> MEPs.

I agree that future Web Services interactions would be based on SOAP1.2
MEPs.
But is there *enough* support in WSDL1.1/WSDL1.2 to describe these MEPs?

thanks,
regards,
Naresh Agarwal