Re: Asynchronous callbacks + www-ws

From: Aleksander Slominski <aslom@cs.indiana.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:41:33 -0500
To: Steven Gollery <sgollery@cadrc.calpoly.edu>
CC: www-ws@w3.org
Steven Gollery wrote:

> I was trying to avoid polling, but so far that's the only solution that
> looks workable.

i know it has its own disadvantages :-)

but in current dynamic IP / firewalled world it seems like a necessity to get
information delivered to clients. you can lessen burden by wiring a small library
that will keep pulling events in the separate thread (that we call listener agent)
and then directly call user application with new events/ this way application can
be written as if it were still registering directly for events with the event
publisher.

thanks,

alek