Comment on Tentative Hold Protocol

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:13:58 -0500 (EST)
To: wayne.carr@intel.com, condry@intel.com, www-ws@w3.org
I just looked over the Tentative Hold Protocol submission[1] and had a
quick comment on it.

It would be interesting to see what could be done with an HTTP extension
rather than with RPC-over-POST.  Specifically, I'm thinking about the
WebDAV LOCK method, which may be suitable to convey hold semantics.
Alternately, a HOLD method could be created, perhaps returning some
etag-like thing that identified the state of the resource at some point
in time (since an etag doesn't consider time, just state).

That would seem to me to fit Web architecture better than an RPC based
solution.  If you wanted to use SOAP with HOLD, you could define an
extension to the SOAP/HTTP binding to do that.

 [1] http://www.w3.org/Submission/2001/11/

MB