RE: webservices stack

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:31:44 -0700
To: "Colin Adam" <colin.adam@webservices.org>, <www-ws@w3.org>

Putting the whole thing into a single stack seems somewhat confusing and
tends to cause problems representing features that span multiple
"layers" like security, QoS, etc.

Another way is to separate the concepts into groups that can interact in
various manners.  I don't know if you have seen the "three stack
diagram" which was also presented at the WS [1][2] but that is an
example of how this can be done.

A more specific comment on your layering: HTTP and friends are not
transports - they are application layer protocols that define some
services. SOAP is just a really simple application layer protocol that
defines a really simple application (the SOAP processing model) at the
core and relies on extensions for adding various services. SOAP Routing
Protocol is an example of how routing functionality can be added to SOAP
[3].

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen
mailto:henrikn@microsoft.com

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/04/wsws-proceedings/ibm-ms-framework/img2.htm