Re: open transport protocol for aysnc web services?

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> It's not so much that as the decoupling of the request and response.
> In other words, if they make a request, keep the persistent
> connection open, and then send responses upon events, the 1->n
> request/response relationship will confuse proxies.

Confuse them any more than any other use of persistent connections?

> Of course, this
> won't be the case if they keep a 1-1 relationship (perhaps by doing
> request...response,request...response,request...).

They support that mode as well, though as a special case of a
notification replay feature.

There's pros and cons of both approaches, but at least they provide a
choice.

> However, using persistent connections in this manner isn't too
> friendly to proxies; it consumes resources on them, and many will
> close idle connections after a fairly short timeout. When this
> happens, it becomes inefficient to use the HTTP, as you have to
> continually re-establish the connection.

True, but I believe that's "just" another consideration when deciding
which approach to use.  If neither is suitable for you, I suppose the
next step would be to look at something other than HTTP.  That has its
costs too.

MB