Re: WSDL: meaning of methods

From: Amit Bhatiani <amit@invertica.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:49:19 -0400
To: <www-ws@w3.org>
Hugo Haas said:

>I personnally think that describing semantics of the service at the
>same time as its operation makes sense.

  1. http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/NOTE-wsdl-20010315#_documentation
  2. http://www.w3.org/2001/03/WSWS-popa/paper51

I agree with you on describing semantics (and in fact transactional
semantics if needed) as first class objects in WSDL along side descriptions.
I just don't think that "meaning of methods" and semantics of web services
are interchangeable terms. The web service might have semantics that are
defined at multi-method level only and not at each method. In fact, some
methods might make no sense to call unless others are called before/after.
Method signatures should also be included along with invariants, but is that
the same as WS Semantics?

212-571-4103 x 6590 (w)
201-759-4158 (m)
212-571-3588 (f)