Re: Two Questions on Extension Components in WSDL 2.0

From: Arthur Ryman <ryman@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 18:36:26 -0400
To: "Ramkumar Menon" <ramkumar.menon@gmail.com>
Cc: www-ws-desc <www-ws-desc@w3.org>, www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
Ram,

a) -1

We only define inheritance of operations and faults. An extension could
define new components and inheritence rules for them. I don't  quite
understand the semantics of inherited attributes.

b) A I recall, we eliminated the extensions from the XML pseudo syntax to
reduce clutter. [1]

"Pseudo schemas do not include extension points for brevity."

I actually proposed that we formalize the concepts of extension properties
and components a while ago. However the WG rejected the proposal. I think
we could have been more precise in general about extensions.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-wsdl20-20070326/#bnfpseudoschemas

Arthur Ryman, PhD, AoT, DE
Process and Portfolio Management, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-3831 (T/L: 318-8867)
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

"Ramkumar Menon" <ramkumar.menon@gmail.com>
Sent by: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
05/21/2007 02:39 PM

www-ws-desc <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
cc

Subject
Two Questions on Extension Components in WSDL 2.0

Gurus,

Two questions.Please correct me if I am wrong.

a) Inheritance of Extension Components

Will properties defined as extension attributes/elements be inherited ?
For instance, if the modeler defines an extension attribute
"sla:responseTime" with a fixed value "500ms" on an interface "INT_1"
applicable for all operations/faults of that interface,
would an interface that extends INT_1 inherit this attribute, both on
inherited and declared operations and faults?

If so,  the statement in section 2.2.1 stating "The interface extension
mechanism behaves in a similar way for all other components that can be
defined inside an interface, namely Interface Fault components."

can be re-phrased, to make this more explicit, as

"The interface extension mechanism behaves in a similar way for all other
components that can be defined inside an interface, namely Interface Fault
components, and any additional extension components added via
extensibility.

b) Extension components mentioned as a standard component property of WSDL
2.0 components

I am sure there is a rationale for this, but I had this question - Why are
extension components missing in the component properties and the XML
representation tables for all components?
The infoset properties always have their mention stating "Zero or more
namespace-qualified element information items whose [namespace name] is
NOT "http://www.w3.org/ns/wsdl ". These are missing from the BNF
pseudo-schemas, and the table that illustrates the "Mapping from XML
representation to <COMPONENT_NAME> component properties" for all the
components.

regards,
Ram

--