Re: The HTTP header to be used for a gzip message

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:49:17 -0500
To: keith chapman <keithgchapman@gmail.com>
Cc: www-ws-desc <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 14:30 +0530, keith chapman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does the spec state the HTTP header to use when a message is encoded
> as gzip. I  had a look at section "6.3.2 HTTP Transfer Coding
> Selection" it does not state anything to this regard. The test
> framework looks for the header "Transfer-Encoding=gzip" but axis2 uses
> the header "Content-Encoding: gzip" .

Given
[[
  This [Transfer-Encoding] differs from the content-coding in that the
transfer-coding is a property of the message, not of the entity.
]]
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.41

I believe Transfer-Encoding is the one to use. With the set of value
available in section 3.6 of the HTTP RFC [1]. Note that "identity" can't
be used anymore in as a transfer codings, according to the latest
editors version of the HTTP RFC that includes errata [2].

Given your question, the spec needs clarification.

Philippe

[1] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec3.html#sec3.6
[2]
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-latest.html#transfer.codings