RE: References in the default namespace

I don't see a problem in referring to non-namespaced elements.  Such
elements have an expanded name with a null namespace uri value.

We already have a QName resolution section that takes as input a namespace,
and tells how to identify the corresponding component.

What I think may be missing is some text that says "Take the value of the
attribute intended to be used as a QName reference.  If it has a prefix,
look up the corresponding namespace declaration to determine the namespace
uri.  If there is no prefix, use the default namespace uri.  If there is no
default namespace uri, use the null uri."  I don't see anything that clearly
stated in the XML Schema or Namespaces specs, although that is I suppose how
one would expect it to work.  (Though the order in which to choose the
default namespace or the null namespace may be different in different
contexts, e.g. element reference tokens in xpath and xml local attributes
vs. xml element names.)

Jonathan Marsh -  <http://www.wso2.com> http://www.wso2.com -
<http://auburnmarshes.spaces.live.com> http://auburnmarshes.spaces.live.com

  _____