RE: Duplicate @binding, @address on endpoint

The purpose of a specification, at the structural level, is to define
constraints.  We start out with the constraint that WSDL is an XML language,
and so must be well-formed.  That limits the set of documents that can be
called WSDL.  Furthermore we have a constraint that the XML document must be
valid wrt the schema we define, which further constrains the set.
Additional constraints, not expressible through XML Schema, are listed in
the specification as assertions.  A profile would presumably add additional
constraints (e.g. XML Schema 1.0 MUST be used as the type system) which
would further reduce the set of possibilities in the interest of
interoperability.

For instance, if it turned out many users were defining duplicate endpoints,
and this caused interoperability problems in practice, then an
interoperability profile could be developed which contained such an
assertion.  Those who conformed to that profile would have to follow that
assertion.

The WSDL spec tries to include useful constraints as assertions, but there
are clearly many possible assertions which are not codified, as they seem to
have limited impact on interoperability at this point.  I expect
implementation experience may result in additional assertions being added
through errata, or through an external profile.

Jonathan Marsh -  <http://www.wso2.com> http://www.wso2.com -
<http://auburnmarshes.spaces.live.com> http://auburnmarshes.spaces.live.com

  _____