RE: Comments on WSDL 1.1 Element Identifiers

I reread the document as well, and see a pretty large disconnect between the
statement "the fragment identifiers are to the WSDL 1.1 elements prior to
any processing of the WSDL document, such as validation, inclusion, imports,
schema type validation, etc." and the whole rationale for designing a
specialized element identification syntax.  Namely, it gives rise to the
following problems:

1)      Except in the case where there are no imports or includes, simply
making a WSDL 1.1 document available at the namespace URI is not sufficient
to enable identification of all the WSDL elements in that post-import,
post-include WSDL document through a namespace-based URI.

2)      Except in the case where there are no imports or includes, there
cannot be a canonical form, as there is no equivalent to the namespace URI
defined for imported and included documents.

A WSDL document, together with its imports and includes, defines a
namespace.  Identifying an element within that namespace definition involves
identifying which document it came from.  The WSDL 2.0 component designators
serve little purpose beyond what could be done with generic XPointers except
that they operate over an abstraction that covers imports and includes.
These WSDL 1.1 element identifiers don't have that motivating factor.

I would investigate either defining how includes and imports are to be
processed, so an identifier based on namespace URIs becomes workable,
dropping the sections on constructing a canonical namespace-based identifier
in favor of simply defining an application/xml xpointer scheme which users
can use to locate elements within their WSDL 1.1 resources, or best of all
to consider dropping this specialized syntax completely in favor of a
generic syntax for identifying elements within XML documents (e.g. the xpath
fragment scheme).

Also, "The pointer parts have a scheme name that corresponds to one of the
standard WSDL 1.1 element names, and scheme data that is a path composed of
names that identify the elements" doesn't seem true for Element Declaration
or Type Definition components, which aren't in the WSDL 1.1 namespace.  I
suspect there are lurking issues here about precisely which element
declarations and type definitions can actually be referred to - especially
when schema imports and includes come into play.

I'd like the WSDL WG to consider forwarding these comments, and Arthur's
below, to the WS-Policy WG.

Jonathan Marsh -  <http://www.wso2.com> http://www.wso2.com -
<http://auburnmarshes.spaces.live.com> http://auburnmarshes.spaces.live.com

  _____