W3C

WS Description WG telcon

28 Sep 2006

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Charlton Baretto, Adobe Systems
Allen Brookes, Rogue Wave Software
Roberto Chinnici, Sun Microsystems
Glen Daniels, Sonic Software
Paul Downey, British Telecommunications
Youenn Fablet, Canon
Tom Jordahl, Adobe Systems
Jacek Kopecky, DERI Innsbruck at the Leopold-Franzens-Universitšt Innsbruck, Austria
Amelia Lewis, TIBCO
Philippe Le Hegaret, W3C
Jonathan Marsh, Co-chair/Microsoft
Jean-Jacques Moreau, Canon
Vivek Pandey, Sun Microsystems
Gilbert Pilz, BEA Systems
Tony Rogers, Co-chair/Computer Associates
Regrets
Arthur Ryman, IBM
Chair
Jonathan
Scribe
Tom Jordahl, TomJ

Contents


<plh> (location: Rennes. 14-18 November)

<plh> confirmed for 14-17

<plh> 18, waiting for Youenn

<youenn> http://www.mont-saint-michel.net/

<plh> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Michael%27s_Mount

<youenn> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint_Michel

<TomJ> Scribe: Tom Jordahl

<TomJ> Scribe: TomJ

Approval of minutes

no comments or corrections to minutes of last week - APPROVED

Action Items

discussion about Glens action item

Jonathan completed his

Retiring MEP usage item for all

3.  Review of Action items [.1].

[Interop]
?         2006-07-06: [interop] Jonathan - create validation-report
                      stylesheet.
?         2006-07-20: [interop] Jonathan to add timestamps to result
                      stylesheet.
?         2006-09-21: [interop] Philippe to transform HTTP headers in
                      the logs to XML format.
DONE [.3] 2006-09-21: [interop] Arthur to regen Woden results.

WG
?         2005-07-21: Pauld to write a proposal for a working group
                      report for requirements for schema evolution
                      following closure of LC124
RETIRED   2006-03-30: Marsh to make XSLT improvements for RDF
                      publication.
?         2006-07-06: Glen to contribute some extension test cases.
DONE [.4] 2006-09-07: Marsh to propose workarounds for CR78.
RETIRED   2006-09-14: ALL to come back with MEP usage (specs?) by next week.
?         2006-09-21: Jonathan to check periodically that SPARQL has added
                      schemaLocation.
?         2006-09-21: Arthur to create a un-namespaced test case.

Administrivia

Jonathan: Implementors meeting report - Renn for interop, Nov 14-18, 2006
... 9-12 participants, possible problem with location on Sat the 18th
... not as much progress as we want, so hope that interop will move things along

Future telcons

Agenda is getting short, next week - yes. But other weeks as "as needed"

Implementors calls will continue weekly

Features "at risk"

<scribe> Continued from last week

Features and Properties

Jonathan: Where are we at? MTOM might be a user, any progress on that?

might be able to extend SOAP module to include MTOM

Glen: SOAP module without properties isn't very useful

Jonathan: should this be a seperate issue?

Glen: SOAP module today relies on F&P. So we need to either remove it, explain that config isn't in WSDL, or create a new config method
... module syntax without properties isn't really worth keeping

Jonathan: SOAP module was NOT marked at risk...
... What about original MTOM issue?

Youenn: could reuse the policy syntax

discussion about how we can enhance the MTOM syntax

ominous silence as we think about leaving F&P in or hacking up other parts of the spec

Jonathan: If we remove F&P, we will need a proposal on how to handle MTOM

<pauld> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/CR-wsdl20-primer-20060327/#adv-MTOM

Jonathan: Does the removal of F&P depend on replacing the ability to engage MTOM

Glen: I would like to see that done

jjm: I would like to see a proposal first

Any voluteers for a creating a proposal?

<pauld> <usingMTOM xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2004/08/soap/features/http-optimization">{true|false}</usingMTOM>

Youenn: will try, but on vacation next week

<scribe> ACTION: Youenn to propose an alternative syntax for MTOM if F&P is removed [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/09/28-ws-desc-minutes.html#action01]

Features "at risk" - URI replacement in HTTP

Jonathan: functionality of URI replace at risk, but no evidence that it will be any less implemented than the rest of the binding.
... Going to remove this from the agenda for now.

Still begs the question if we will get any HTTP biding implemented

Features "at risk" - "extra" MEPS

Jonathan; We talked about this last week, any further thoughts on removing them?

concesus seems to still be to remove them

Jonathan: Any objection to letting the editors factor out a Note with the MEPS?

Amy volunteers to do the work

RDF last call issues

<scribe> ACTION: Editors to factor the "extra" MEPS out of the specification (Part 2) and make a new NOTE [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/09/28-ws-desc-minutes.html#action02]

Issue 289 - what kind of documents do we want to publish?

Jack: handle that last

Issue 291 - Canonicalized (C14n) should be used.

Jack: Yes

Issue 292 - more c14n

Jack: Yes, example in email.

Issue 293 - clarify the normative text

issue 294 - Class of products

Jack: well will add some more info to the text

issue 295 - RFC 2119 keywords

Jack: will soften or capitalize the text as appropriate

Issue 296 - no conformance section

Jack: doesn't seem necessary for a conformance section, we will add text to calrify

Jonathan: wouldn't someone say they conform to the RDF spec?

Jack: well, maybe. We can add something

<Jonathan> ACTION: Marsh to suggest some generic conformance text [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/09/28-ws-desc-minutes.html#action03]

Issue 297 - Generic Extension Mechanism

Jack: Not sure what the issue is, will contact to get clarification

<scribe> ACTION: Jack to follow up with Karl Dubost to get info about RDF issue 297 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/09/28-ws-desc-minutes.html#action04]

Issue 298 - Editorial

Jack: will take them under advisement

RESOLUTION: Close RDF issues 291-298 with actions as discussed

RESOLUTION: Close RDF issues 291-298 with actions as discussed

Jonathan: When so you expect to have these edits done?

Jack: End of October seems like a good target for next draft (or LC)

CR64 - WSDL 2.0 primer CR comments

<pauld> http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/5/cr-issues/#CR064

Editorial comments - refer them to the editors

RESOLUTION: CR64 is sent to the editors

CR65 - More WSDL 2.0 primer CR comments

RESOLUTION: Close and send to the editors as CR64

Issue CR078 - XML Schema requires a type in addition to name to XML Schema requires a type in addition to name to

<pauld> http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/5/cr-issues/#CR078

Amy: Not convinced we need to do anything to advance this use case.
... don't see an easily portable way to deal with one particular Schema language

Jonathan: Proposal to close with no action

Any objections?

No objections

RESOLUTION: Close CR78 with no action, Jonathan to compose a reply with details

Skip CR80

Issue CR21 - WSDL operation safety

Issue from the TAG, take a look at it once we are much closer to interop.

No other business?

<charlton> lets adjourn :-)

Adjourned

<pauld> regrets for next week, at a F2F

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Editors to factor the "extra" MEPS out of the specification (Part 2) and make a new NOTE [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/09/28-ws-desc-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Jack to follow up with Karl Dubost to get info about RDF issue 297 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/09/28-ws-desc-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: Marsh to suggest some generic conformance text [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/09/28-ws-desc-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Youenn to propose an alternative syntax for MTOM if F&P is removed [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/09/28-ws-desc-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.127 (CVS log)
$Date: 2006/09/28 16:55:47 $