From: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org on behalf of Jonathan Marsh
Sent: Fri 9/22/2006 10:11 PM
To: Christian Au; www-ws-desc@w3.org
Subject: RE: Difference between data and metadata

>From a Web Services point of view, I believe what travels on the wire is data (e.g. SOAP messages in HTTP envelopes).  What describes what goes on the wire is metadata (WSDL, WS-Policy, CDL).  In a few instances metadata might appear on the wire, but generally only to facilitate future interactions, not to make that particular exchange work.

I believe WSDL is purely metadata, through the thought experiment.  If I took the WSDL away, would the described on-the-wire exchange still be able to occur?  In almost all cases an omniscient coder could still craft the required messages and successfully exchange them.  The metadata, in its various flavors, is not strictly necessary to the successful exchange, but describes different parts of the exchange in formats that allow an ignorant coder (e.g. a toolkit) to raise it's level of awareness towards omniscience.

We all know there are limits to today's metadata formats, especially in terms of legal obligations and business purpose, that will continue to be indescribable.  This information is missing (in machine-readable form) and yet the exchange can still take place, thus it also falls under my definition of "metadata".

Hope this helps.