Re: Some MTOM precisions

Youenn,

Few comments on the proposal:

1) Section 2 says:
---
This extension allows describing the capacities and requirements of a
service related to the use of MTOM. This specification defines the
semantics of this extension when used in conjunction with:

    1. WSDL2.0 SOAP Binding, as defined in [WSDL 2.0 Adjuncts]
    2. HTTP being set as SOAP transport protocol
---

When I first read this I interpreted the above to mean that this
extension is used only when WSDL 2.0 soap bidning *AND* HTTP is used.

After reading the rest of the proposal it was clear that this extension
can be used for non-HTTP transports.

I would suggest removing the 2nd bullet.

2) Table 2-1, 2nd row, 2nd column says:
---
MTOM MUST be supported and SHOULD be engaged by the client. Typically,
MTOM MAY be disengaged when NO binary data is to be sent.
---

There are two cases when the client may not want to engage MTOM:
a) there is no binary data to be sent (for example, the binary part has
minOccurs="0").
b) the binary data that is to be sent is so small that the MTOM
optimization results in a larger message ('cause of all the MIME
overheads). I.e., base64 encoding is more efficient than MIME packaging
with raw binary MIME part

I would suggest modifying the above stmt as follows:
MTOM MUST be supported and SHOULD be engaged by the client. Typically,
MTOM MAY be disengaged when NO binary data is to be sent OR when the
binary data to be sent is too small to benefit from MTOM optimization.

3) I'm curious as to why the wso:OptimizedMimeSerialization element is
not extensible via attributes and elements.

4) Section 3.1 says:
---
The wso:OptimizedMimeSerialization element MAY be used in other contexts
than WSDL2.0 (e.g., as a policy assertion in a policy framework).
---

Can this extension also be used in WSDL 1.1?

Thanks.

-Anish