From: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-desc-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Arthur Ryman
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 11:02 AM
To: Youenn Fablet
Cc: Jean-Jacques Moreau; www-ws-desc@w3.org; www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
Subject: Re: F&P/MTOM Alternate proposal

Youenn,

Looks good.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

Youenn Fablet <youenn.fablet@crf.canon.fr>
Sent by: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org

10/10/2006 05:50 AM

www-ws-desc@w3.org

cc

Jean-Jacques Moreau <jean-jacques.moreau@crf.canon.fr>

Subject

F&P/MTOM Alternate proposal

Per my action item, here is an alternative proposal for MTOM support
within WSDL2.0.
This is a translation of the current MTOM support through an extension
element.
Regards,
   Youenn
-----------------------------
The proposal is the following:

Add a new WSDL2.0/MTOM extension within section 5 (soap binding) of the
WSDL20 adjunct specification, along the following lines.

//// WSDL Component Relationship /////
The WSDL2.0/MTOM extension adds the following property to the WSDL2.0
Endpoint, Binding, Binding Operation, Binding Fault, Binding Message
Reference and Binding Fault Reference components:
  - {optimizedMimeSerialization} OPTIONAL. Its type is xs:token. When
present and equal to "required",  it indicates that MTOM  must be
engaged. When present and equal to "optional", it indicates that MTOM
may be engaged. When not present, no assertion is made about the use of
MTOM.

The requiredness/availability of the MTOM engagement is defined by the
closest present property, where closeness is defined by whether it is at
the Endpoint component level, the Binding Message Reference component or
Binding Fault Reference component level, the Binding Operation level,
the Binding Fault Reference level, or the Binding component level,
respectively.

//// XML Representation ////
The XML representation for the WSDL2.0/MTOM  extension is an element
information item as follow:
  <wsmtom:OptimizedMimeSerialization wsdl:required="true|false"?

xmlns:wsmtom="http://www.w3.org/2004/08/soap/features/http-optimization"/>
This is an empty global element that allows any namespaced attribute
(especially the wsdl:required attribute).

//// Mapping ////
The {optimizedMimeSerialization} property is present when a
wsmtom:OptimizedMimeSerialization element is present.
Its value is "required" if the wsdl:required attribute is present and
equals to "true". Otherwise its value is "optional".