RE: Review of WSDL 2.0 - RDF Mapping

From: Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:50:04 -0800
To: "Booth, David \(HP Software - Boston\)" <dbooth@hp.com>, "Jacek Kopecky" <jacek.kopecky@deri.org>
Cc: "Bijan Parsia" <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>, "WS-Description WG" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

My 2 cents, if it's worth anything:

I'd be a bit nervous about making the XSLT normative and the prose
non-normative.  There are simply too many opportunities for bugs and
unanticipated edge cases in an XSLT, and too many opportunities to
desire fine-tuning or repurposing to make a Recommended XSLT terribly
useful.  It smells far too much like a reference implementation rather
than a specification.  XSLT has many quirks which a mapping would
inevitably use that might make it difficult to translate to other
languages.  I think an XSLT would be a great idea but I would be very
nervous about asserting that it is appropriate for absolutely every
case.  XSLT immediately falls down if there aren't (for example)
accurate xsi:schemaLoacation attributes to direct the importing of
schemas, which attributes are optional hints per the spec.

On