RE: Message Exchange Patterns State Diagrams

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 12:51:48 -0000
To: <ryman@ca.ibm.com>, <patric.fornasier@gmail.com>
Cc: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>, <www-ws-desc-request@w3.org>

Arthur, (Patric)

> Nice diagrams.

+1

> However, viewing the interactions as State Diagrams is a
> little abstract.

I though they showed a particular implementation,
also a service might have other states, events
and exchange messages to other parties.

I'd worry if such diagrams appeared in our spec
as being how you must/should implement a MEP as
I might model my service very differently but still
conform to a particular MEP.

> I think it is clearer to show the interactions using UML
> Sequence Diagrams.

A sequence diagram would be closer to how we've specified MEPs,
as an observable sequence of messages exchanged.

> Any chance you could draw those?

Well, if you don't ask, you don't get, however
I wouldn't expect Patric to do anything not
directly useful for his implementation.

Paul