problem with pattern attribute definition?

From: Amelia A Lewis <alewis@tibco.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 13:35:51 -0500
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org

Heylas,

So, the pattern AII is REQUIRED (2.4.2 ed copy, bullet 3).  But if it *doesn't exist*, we supply a default value (2.4.2.2, final sentence).

If that's the way that we always describe defaults (required attribute, which if it isn't there has a value anyway), then our description is really painfully awkward.  Is this a consequence of describing the "XML representation" via the infoset?  Is it boneheaded of me to think that if I see "the pattern attribute information item is required" that @pattern will always appear on operation?

Heh.  Can XPath retrieve the value of a defaulted attribute?  That's not apropos of much of anything, mind.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis
Senior Architect