W3C

WS Description WG telcon

1 Sep 2005

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present:
Rebecca Bergersen, IONA Technologies
Allen Brookes, Rogue Wave Software
Roberto Chinnici, Sun Microsystems
Youenn Fablet, Canon
Anish Karmarkar, Oracle
Jacek Kopecky, DERI Innsbruck at the Leopold-Franzens-Universitšt Innsbruck, Austria
Amelia Lewis, TIBCO
Jean-Jacques Moreau, Canon
Bijan Parsia, University of Maryland MIND Lab
Tony Rogers, Computer Associates
Arthur Ryman, IBM
Asir Vedamuthu, Microsoft
Observers
Carine Bournez (W3C, subbing for Hugo)
David Hull (TIBCO, joining WG shortly)
Regrets
Hugo Haas, W3C
Tom Jordahl, Macromedia
Chair
Jonathan
Scribe
tonyr

Contents


approval of minutes

Minutes approved without dissent

action items

--------------------------------------------------------------------
3.  Review of Action items [.1].

?         2005-06-16: Amy to provide test cases for MEPs not described
                      in Part 2, due 2005-07. 
?         2005-07-20: dorchard to respond to commenter on keeping 
                      mustUnderstand 
?         2005-07-21: pauld to write a proposal for a working group 
                      report for requirements for schema evolution 
                      following closure of LC124 

Current Editorial Action Items
DONE [.3] 2005-07-21: amy to write abstract for alt schema languages 
                      and to do some cleanup under jonathan's direction 
DONE [.3] 2005-07-21: editors of note to add references to wsdl 
                      documents (RNG, etc.) 
?         2005-07-21: Arthur to add stable identifiers for each 
                      assertion, due 2005-09-26.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Jul/0111.html
[.3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/NOTE-wsdl20-altschemalangs-20050817/

Administrivia

Last Call status on five documents

LC period ends 19 September - get your issues in now (roll up, roll up!)

issues classified as editorial

getting confirmation on the editorial status of issues

LC300

Arthur: suggesting a common bibliography for all documents

Marsh: sounds good, but a fair bit of work - editors willing to do this?

Arthur: seems less efficient, but it is a lot of work

RESOLUTION: accepted - to the editors to fix

LC302

Marsh: point to RFC3987 instead of the draft TAG finding

RESOLUTION: accepted - to the editors to fix

LC303

Marsh: mention IRIs in Primer to point out that they can be used in place of URIs (almost everywhere)
... perhaps Hugo and Kevin can deal with this

LC304

Marsh: clarifying the concept of IANA media type token

Arthur: should we be skipping Hugo's issues until he is next on the call?

Marsh: let's skip this one

Arthur: and Hugo wrote this section, too - Hugo is commenting on a section he wrote - difficult to address in his absence

LC305

Marsh: divergence of notations between WSDL and WS-A - suggestion to add this statement to our notation, but complicated by our extension notation

<Allen> Have to drop off

Arthur: what does WS-A expect in the way of extensibility?

Marsh: open content model
... they do have some extensions

Arthur: maybe we have the same text in both their spec and ours, but clarify

Marsh: will volunteer to craft some text to go in both documents, phrased suitably for both

<scribe> ACTION: Marsh to propose some text to address LC305 in terms suitable for both WS-A and WS-D [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action01]

LC306

editorial comments relating to wsdlx

<Marsh> RESOLUTION: wsdlx is defined in Core, extended in Adjuncts. Editorial clarifications as necessary to explain this will be made. Hyphen removed as well.

LC308

Marsh: as long as this does not imply that you can use fragment identifiers as part of the language, this is OK

Arthur: this seems mostly harmless

Marsh: shall we resolve to accept this here, and in similar situations

RESOLUTION: accepted here and in similar situations.

<scribe> ACTION: Arthur to effect the changes necessary to resolve LC308 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action02]

LC309

Arthur: we can remove the list to reduce maintenance

RESOLUTION: accepted

<scribe> ACTION: Arthur to make the change to resolve LC309 (remove list, make reference general) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action03]

LC310

Roberto: suggest removing the ws prefix from the items (shouldn't need to specify the prefix)

Marsh: look at section 4.2, ensure that it's consistent and clear which import we are taking about

<scribe> ACTION: Roberto to fix LC310 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action04]

<Roberto> me it won't work

<Marsh> RESOLUTION: LC310 closed, accepted.

LC312

RESOLUTION: accepted - to the editors to fix

LC314

RESOLUTION: accepted without dissent

LC316

Jacek: we should not call this an example - should include it as normative

Roberto: but then we have two things to keep in sync - drop the example and make the schema the definition

Marsh: perhaps change the word "definition"

<asir> There is a bug in the schema at http://www.w3.org/2005/08/wsdl/rpc.xsd - attributeFormDefault is declared to be unqualified - I'll raise a separate issue

Discussion of how to reference the (normative) schema, but leave this example in place

RESOLUTION: add the wrpc namespace to table 1-1; in section 4.1.2, insert "excerpt" to clarify that this is not the full normative description

<scribe> ACTION: Roberto to act upon the resolution of LC316 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action05]

LC319

<scribe> ACTION: Marsh to mark LC319 as non-editorial and ask for a proposal from Hugo [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action06]

LC322

RESOLUTION: accept the proposed new wording in LC322

LC324

<scribe> Postponed until we deal with LC318

LC325

RESOLUTION: accept the proposed new wording in LC325

LC301

asir: did we have a similar issue in previous Last Call?

Marsh: we had some granularity issues, not sure if they are the same
... if we don't change this, it would be hard to support WS-A (which requires the flexibility)

Jacek: would support this

Marsh: this changes the model, and schema - would changing this force us into another Last Call?

Arthur: have to support what people want to do

Marsh: shall we get a statement from WS-A to support this change?

<scribe> ACTION: Jonathan to run LC301 past WS-Addressing to get confirmation [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action07]

LC307

Hugo withdrew the issue

RESOLUTION: close with no action

<Arthur> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-desc-comments/2005Aug/0012.html

LC311

Discussion of namespace URI/IRI

Marsh: namespace can use IRI

RESOLUTION: add clarification that the URI for the extension is the namespace URI, and this URI can be an IRI

<scribe> ACTION: Arthur to implement the resolution of LC311 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action08]

LC313

RESOLUTION: LC313 proposal accepted as stated

Brief discussion of the advantages of using the formal notation (Z) as a means of discovering problems in specification

<scribe> ACTION: Marsh to include "Z notation in Part 2" in next agenda [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action09]

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Arthur to effect the changes necessary to resolve LC308 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Arthur to implement the resolution of LC311 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action08]
[NEW] ACTION: Arthur to make the change to resolve LC309 (remove list, make reference general) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Jonathan to run LC301 past WS-Addressing to get confirmation [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: Marsh to include "Z notation in Part 2" in next agenda [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action09]
[NEW] ACTION: Marsh to mark LC319 as non-editorial and ask for a proposal from Hugo [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: Marsh to propose some text to address LC305 in terms suitable for both WS-A and WS-D [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Roberto to act upon the resolution of LC316 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Roberto to fix LC310 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/01-ws-desc-minutes.html#action04]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.127 (CVS log)
$Date: 2005/09/01 16:48:30 $