W3C

WSDL WG Conference Call

17 Nov 2005

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present:
Kendall Clark, University of Maryland MIND Lab
Glen Daniels, Sonic Software
Paul Downey, British Telecommunications
Youenn Fablet, Canon
Hugo Haas, W3C
Tom Jordahl, Macromedia
Jacek Kopecky, DERI Innsbruck at the Leopold-Franzens-Universitšt Innsbruck, Austria
Amelia Lewis, TIBCO
Kevin Canyang Liu, SAP
Jeff Mischkinsky, Oracle
Jean-Jacques Moreau, Canon
Vivek Pandey, Sun Microsystems
Arthur Ryman, IBM
Asir Vedamuthu, Microsoft
Sanjiva Weerawarana, WS02
Regrets
Roberto Chinnici, Sun Microsystems
Anish Karmarkar, Oracle
David Orchard, BEA Systems
Chair
Jonathan Marsh
Scribe
Asir S Vedamuthu

Contents


Vedamuthu

<scribe> ScribeNick: asir

Membership changes

Marsh: Rebecca leaves the WG

Approval of minutes

RESOLUTION: Approved Nov 3rd minutes - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Nov/att-0009/20051103-ws-desc-minutes.html
... Approved Nov 10-11 F2F minutes and summary at,

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Nov/att-0036/20051110-ws-desc-minutes.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Nov/att-0036/20051111-ws-desc-minutes.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Nov/0036.html

Review of Action items

?         2005-07-21: pauld to write a proposal for a working group 
                      report for requirements for schema evolution 
                      following closure of LC124 
?         2005-10-20: Kendall to contact DAWG to ask for contribution to 
                      test suite, due 2005-10-27. 
DONE [.5] 2005-11-10: Hugo to fix language "Binding component assigns 
                      quoted string" in SOAP 1.1 binding, due 2005-11-16. 
?         2005-11-10: Hugo will start adding assertions to Part 2. 
?         2005-11-10: Marsh to take the IRI issue to the CG, due
                      2005-11-16. 
DONE [.3] 2005-11-10: Glen to write a proposal toward LC362, due 2005-11-16. 
DONE [.6] 2005-11-10: Paul to write to the DAWG re: binding operation
                      twice, due 2005-11-16. 
DONE [.4] 2005-11-11: Jonathan to record the issue formally to the issues 
                      list with the resolution recorded, due 2005-11-16.

?         2005-11-11: Arthur to construct instructions sheet, and assign
                      sections for each member of the group to insert 
                      assertion markup, due 2005-11-16.

Current Editorial Action Items 
?         2005-07-21: Arthur to add stable identifiers for each 
                      assertion, due 2005-09-26. 

Note: Editorial AIs associated with LC issues recorded at [.2]. 

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
[.2] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/5/lc-issues/actions_owner.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Nov/0022.html
[.4] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/5/lc-issues/#LC363
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Nov/0046.html
[.6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Nov/0047.html

RESOLUTION: adopt SOAP 1.1 Binding editorial changes proposed by Hugo at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Nov/0046.html

Administrivia

January meeting proposal (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2005Nov/0001.html)

Feb meeting (Cannes) draft schedule available (http://www.w3.org/2005/10/tp6groups.html)

Jonathan: proposes cancelling telecon next week (Thanksgiving week)
... Christmas break schedule - cancel conference calls on Dec 12th and 29th
... we may cancel others if there aren't any agenda items

Review of WSDL 2.0 drafts

<Jonathan_Marsh> http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/5/lc-issues/actions.html

Jonathan: there are few outstanding editorial action items

<scribe> ACTION: Arthur to work on the remaining editorial action items [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/11/17-ws-desc-minutes.html#action01]

Jonathan: should we worry about the table formatting issue?

Sanjiva: need some editorial adjustments to the table

Hugo: am OK if there is a better table

Jonathan: this is strictly editorial adjustment

<scribe> ACTION: Sanjiva to propose a new table format [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/11/17-ws-desc-minutes.html#action02]

Vote to move to Candidate Recommendation

Jonathan: editors will complete the editorial actions by end of this week, drafts are open for review until Wed next week
... proposes a roll call vote

Jeff: agrees

Hugo: we should talk about the exit criteria

Jonathan: lets discuss after the vote
... shall we go to CR next wed if there aren't any known red flags?

<kendallclark> It was Alex Tribek from my computer. Sorry.

Aye: SAP, Sonic, Sun, BT, Canon, W3C, University of Maryland (Mindlab), Macromedia, Oracle, DERI, TIBCO, IBM, Microsoft, WSO2

Nay: 0

Abstain: 0

No. of Years = 3.9

<sanjiva> hats off to the chair and the group!

<kendallclark> or XQuery... brutal.

<Jonathan_Marsh> ACTION: Marsh to add link to test coverage page from our web site [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/11/17-ws-desc-minutes.html#action03]

RESOLUTION: request the Director to advance WSDL drafts as CR drafts

<Arthur> 2002/ws/desc/test-suite/test-suite-coverage-summary.xml

CR testing issues/progress

<Arthur> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/test-suite/test-suite-coverage-summary.xml?rev=1.1&content-type=text/xml

<Jonathan_Marsh> ACTION: Marsh to debug/improve test coverage page [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/11/17-ws-desc-minutes.html#action04]

Arthur: request members to create test cases where boxes are colored red (I can't see the page yet)
... goal is to have one bad test case for each of those assertions

<scribe> ACTION: Arthur to modify the style sheets to eliminate the assertions table from the CR drafts [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/11/17-ws-desc-minutes.html#action05]

Exit Criteria

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Nov/0036.html

Hugo: points out three things
... First, SOAP 1.1 Binding is a working group note. We may not be able to publish this as a CR draft. We need a clear status section that explains this

Jonathan: this is about publishing as CR and then publishing as a note

Hugo: not sure if the process prohibits this practice

Jonathan: chair and staff contact to discuss in detail

Hugo: Second, did any of the OASIS group complete a formal review of WSDL last call drafts

Jonthan: didn't receive any formal comments

<sanjiva> FYI we are implementing the HTTP binding ... not sure whether it'll be *all* of it but certainly the bulk of it

Hugo: Third, we'll be asked what do you mean by interoperable implementations. We should document our intentions clearly

Arthur: messages, sequence of messages (testing of meps)

Hugo: will a validator help us exit CR?

Jonathan: in addition to a validator, we need implementations that produce and consume messages that conform to WSDL
... did we discuss required vs. optional?
... we don't have different criteria for required and optional features

Hugo: we are aiming for a lower bar

Jonathan: is worried about HTTP binding

Hugo: on the second day of the F2F, we discussed this question. We have some folks interested in HTTP binding
... does SOAP binding depend on HTTP binding? We ended up not marking HTTP binding at risk

Jonathan: it may take until mid Dec to go to CR
... we should be focusing on CR implementation, test suite and execute on the CR related administrative work

<sanjiva> Can someone let me know who else is planning on implementing the HTTP binding please?

RDF Mapping issues/progress

<sanjiva> (I'd like to compare notes etc.)

<kendallclark> FWIW, Bijan was in Manchester this week interviewing for a job at the Uni.

<kendallclark> yep

Jacek: is preparing the list of issues and producing the mapping table

<sanjiva> bye

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Arthur to modify the style sheets to eliminate the assertions table from the CR drafts [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/11/17-ws-desc-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Arthur to work on the remaining editorial action items [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/11/17-ws-desc-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Marsh to add link to test coverage page from our web site [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/11/17-ws-desc-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Marsh to debug/improve test coverage page [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/11/17-ws-desc-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: Sanjiva to propose a new table format [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/11/17-ws-desc-minutes.html#action02]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.127 (CVS log)
$Date: 2005/11/17 17:00:36 $