W3C

WS Description WG May 26 telcon

26 May 2005

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present:
Roberto Chinnici, Sun Microsystems
Glen Daniels, Sonic Software
Paul Downey, British Telecommunications
Youenn Fablet, Canon
Hugo Haas, W3C
Tom Jordahl, Macromedia
Amelia Lewis, TIBCO
Kevin Canyang Liu, SAP
Jeff Mischkinsky, Oracle
David Orchard, BEA Systems
Bijan Parsia, University of Maryland MIND Lab
Tony Rogers, Computer Associates
Arthur Ryman, IBM
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Invited Expert
Umit Yalcinalp, SAP
Regrets
Rebecca Bergersen, IONA Technologies
Anish Karmarkar, Oracle
Jacek Kopecky, DERI Innsbruck at the Leopold-Franzens-Universitšt Innsbruck, Austria
Jean-Jacques Moreau, Canon
Observers:
Charlton Barretto, Adobe
Chair
Marsh
Scribe
Roberto

Contents


 

 

<TonyR> next week it will be 5pm to 2am

<scribe> Scribe: Roberto

Marsh: minutes approved

review of action items

?*        2004-11-11: Anish to propose additions to the test suite for 
                      the purpose of interoperability testing, 
                      due 2005-05-12.
?         2005-03-31: Marsh to take on (or recommend closing) Bijan's AI
                      to produce a component/property table via XSLT, 
                      due 2005-05-28.
?         2005-04-21: Pauld to craft, publish Common Schema structures
                      to WG for review for publication as WG Note, 
                      due 2005-05-28. 
DONE [.4] 2005-04-21: Hugo to continue to look at IRI style/URI style,
                      due 2005-05-26. (LC74a)
?*        2005-04-22: Amy to provide examples for the advanced section 
                      of the primer. Amy to send them to Kevin and test 
                      materials to Arthur, due 2005-05-19. (LC61c) 
DONE [.3] 2005-04-22: Amy to investigate a solution, due 2005-05-19
                      (LC74c)
?*        2005-05-05: Sanjiva to writeup a proposal for LC71, 
                      due 2005-05-26.
DUE 06-01 2005-05-12: Glen to add scoping example to primer, 
                      due 2005-06-01.
?         2005-05-19: Umit to provide #none for Primer, due 2005-06-01. 
?         2005-05-19: DaveO to ressurect option to indicate GET more 
                      directly, due 2005-06-01.

Outstanding editorial work:
?         2005-04-28: Arthur to introduce specialized markup for 
                      components and properties.
DONE [.5] 2005-05-12: Primer editors to remove section 7.1.2 - we don't
                      define scoping rules for extension elements.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
[.2] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/actions.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005May/0068.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005May/0077.html
[.5]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl20/wsdl20-primer.ht
ml#adv-extensibility

Administrivia

Marsh: haven't heard yet from the Async TF
... hopes to look at the common schema structures note after the last call issues are completed
... f2f agenda to be sent out tomorrow
... send any proposals/issues not yet recorded on the issues list
... glen wrote up a compromise proposal for compositors
... there is another formal objection to the operation mapping
... will follow up with all the objectors
... alternative schema languages note now linked from the WG page
... also editorial action to remove appendix E

bijan: there were some issues on alternate schema languages, should we highlight them in the note?

arthur: need to get rid of gray areas, so we need to say where the necessary rules belong -- is it the extension specs?
... in this case, specs for type system extensions

bijan: problem is worse for non-XML type systems

Marsh: should start collecting issues around the note

bijan: jacek wanted to write up how to use the RDF/OWL type system
... extension specs in the note are incomplete if they don't address these issues

Marsh: still need to resolve zed/mathml, will do it at the f2f

New issues

Marsh: two new issues are editorial
... need to fix notation problem
... discrepancies between schema and spec
... any objections to making .4 and .5 editorial?

no objections

Marsh: jacek had an issue (.3) on binding fault defaulting
... http:code is optional but wsoap:code isn't; why?
... this is a design issue

tomj: doesn't like binding is not defaultable anymore

Marsh: will add issue to the f2f agenda
... solicits concrete proposals to solve the issue

Completed editorial items

Marsh: editorial changes approved with no objections (LC97, LC126, LC129)

issue 75j

Marsh: after LC97, we don't talk about properties having defaults anymore
... proposes to close it as subsumed by LC97

tomj: isn't then safe="false" the default?

Arthur: attribute cannot be set to a non-boolean value

tomj: 2.4.2.4 says that the the AII doesn't have a default value

<uyalcina> rather late, but I verified LC 126 and LC126. They are resolved.

<Marsh> ACTION: Arthur to add "safe" attribute to the schema, and fix the other schema issues noted in the new issue. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/05/26-ws-desc-minutes.html#action01]

Marsh: any objections to closing LC75j?

RESOLUTION: LC75j closed as subsumed by LC97

Issue LC89j

<uyalcina> I meant LC 126 + 129

Marsh: issue talks about partitioning elements into multiple namespaces
... any champions for this issue?

tomj: proposes to close it

Marsh: proposal is to have a different namespace for each symbol space (maybe?)

Arthur: within a namespace, you can pick your names
... some names are resolved only within a given context
... is the proposal to make all of them QNames?

tomj: the spec does contain a lot of those notes

Roberto: would understand the proposal better if it suggested using URIs

Arthur: inheritance is also a source of clashes

umit: wants to close, but feels we don't quite understand what the issue says

Marsh: anyone wants to write up a rationale for closing it?

<Marsh> ACTION: Marsh to ask Rich about the worst example for LC89j [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/05/26-ws-desc-minutes.html#action02]

LC74a

Hugo: describes his proposal
... first IRI is built from data, then IRI is mapped to URI via %-encoding (RFC 3987)
... checked with W3C i18n folks and they're ok with it

Marsh: already changed URI to IRI in most places (where appropriate)

tomj: there are no IRIs in part 1

Marsh: resolution was on april 21st at the MV f2f

RESOLUTION: Hugo's proposal for LC74a approved

Marsh: LC74a is now closed

LC80

Marsh: Hugo was going to add component designators for the soap and http extensions

Hugo: will complete the action based on mail 2005May/0057.html

Topic LC74c

LC74c

Marsh: i18n asked for making documentation i18n-able

Amy: proposes to make wsdl:documentation attribute extensible and *-cardinality
... no need to define special meaning for multiple doc items

Arthur: isn't it already enabled? we don't constrain the contents of documentation
... you can have multiple paragraph elements inside documentation
... what language code should I use for machine processable documentation?

Marsh: xml:lang="" turns off any assertions

umit: supports the proposal

Arthur: XML schema separates documentation from appinfo
... while we support them both with documentation

umit: this is a different issue than LC74c

Roberto: would like to talk about it more at the f2f

Marsh: will add it to the agenda

LC124

Marsh: proposal is to add an extension attribute to point to schema processing rules

pauld: (explains the proposal)

Marsh: calls for alternate proposals

Arthur: if this is a predefined extension, there should be one concrete processing style we can point to

Sanjiva: will people implement the processing style for that value?

Marsh: we need more detail from Paul for next week's discussion

<Marsh> ACTION: Paul to describe LC124 proposal in more detail (where does the attribute go, what's the value for normal Schema validation?) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/05/26-ws-desc-minutes.html#action03]

DaveO: the schema WG is defining profiles

LC117

Marsh: we won't hear from the WSA WG before the f2f

<pauld> ACTION: pauld to provide a more concrete proposal for LC124 for the F2F [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/05/26-ws-desc-minutes.html#action04]

<TonyR> s/won't here/won't hear/

<pauld> ACTION-4

Umit: asks people to look at the primer examples to understand the proposal

LC79

Marsh: calls for a volunteer

glend: it's connected with the async TF
... will describe the options being discussed in the async tf

umit: already wrote it up, will forward

LC101

Marsh: calls for a volunteer to write a concrete proposal

<Marsh> ACTION: Glen to put an LC101 proposal on the table. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/05/26-ws-desc-minutes.html#action05]

LC102

Operation name mapping issues

Marsh: LC82

<Marsh> ACTION: Tom to provide a concrete proposal to address LC82 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/05/26-ws-desc-minutes.html#action06]

Marsh: LC84b on the agenda for next week
... LC84c needs a volunteer

arthur: who wrote the OMR?

<Marsh> ACTION: Marsh to ask DBooth if the concerns in LC84c are still valid. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/05/26-ws-desc-minutes.html#action07]

<Tomj> No one seems to understand the issue fully, can we ask David booth?

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Arthur to add "safe" attribute to the schema, and fix the other schema issues noted in the new issue. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/05/26-ws-desc-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Glen to put an LC101 proposal on the table. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/05/26-ws-desc-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Marsh to ask DBooth if the concerns in LC84c are still valid. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/05/26-ws-desc-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: Marsh to ask Rich about the worst example for LC89j [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/05/26-ws-desc-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Paul to describe LC124 proposal in more detail (where does the attribute go, what's the value for normal Schema validation?) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/05/26-ws-desc-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: pauld to provide a more concrete proposal for LC124 for the F2F [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/05/26-ws-desc-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: Tom to provide a concrete proposal to address LC82 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/05/26-ws-desc-minutes.html#action06]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.126 (CVS log)
$Date: 2005/05/26 16:33:58 $