Re: Why do we have a component model?

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:06:22 -0500
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org, Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>, www-ws-desc-request@w3.org, Jean-Jacques Moreau <jean-jacques.moreau@crf.canon.fr>
To: Arthur Ryman <ryman@ca.ibm.com>

On Mar 7, 2005, at 9:25 AM, Arthur Ryman wrote:

> Bijan et al.,
>
> I think it is possible to eliminate the component model by talking
> about documents and collections of documents.

Yes I recall your sketch of this proposal. It's still unclear whether
it would be *overall* simpler or less confusing. I have few intuitions
here.

> The current component model text could be modified slightly so that
> what we now call components become "specializations" of infoset
> Element Information Items.

Which itself could be confusing for some, for all I know :(

> Every component corresponds to an element, so rather that call it a
> component, we can call it a kind of element item, e.g. Interface Item,
> Binding Item, instead of Interface Component, Binding Component.  We
> augment the Infoset properties with the additional properties that are
> derived from the raw XML and that are currently described in our spec,
> e.g an Interface Item has an [operations] property that is the set of
> Operation Items that are its children.

That seems to hide components in infoset clothing. Might be worth it,
but it doesn't *really* lower the conceptual overhead, afaict.

> In addition to the Items, we need to describe the constraints on the
> collection of infosets that correspond to all the included and
> imported documents.

For example.

> The result would be that we eliminate the concept of component. There
> would be some simplifications to the text since we inherit all the
> infoset constraints. However, the spec would still be roughly as
> complex.

Ah, yes. Ok, We agree then.

Cheers,
Bijan.