LC124 Text

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:08:36 -0700
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
My proposal for the text for the definition of the "ignoreUnknown"
property, in whatever solution form we end up choosing, is:

The "ignoreUnknown" property set to "true" indicates that a processor
should not fault when processing messages that contain _unexpected
items_.  _Unexpected items_ are attributes and elements not defined by
the schema for a particular element.  _Unexpected items_ may appear in
any namespace including the targetNamespace of a known schema, as well
as in a namespace for which no schema is currently known.  _Unexpected
items_ includes the descendents of the item, such any child elements,
attributes and content.

Note: one mechanism for accomplishing this is to validate a message
after content that is not known has been removed.  The unknown content
may be identified by a W3C XML Schema processor.  The [validity]
property in the Post Schema-Validation Infoset will contain a "notKnown"
value if unknown content is found.

Cheers,

Dave