LC124 Options

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:40:48 -0700
To: "WS-Description WG" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
I enclose options for resolving LC124, based upon Paul Downey's note at
[1].  I list excluded options in separate list at the end.  Please let
me know anything I've missed or should be changed

In all cases, ignoreUnknowns is an optional attribute or element.  A
true value indicates whether Schema types are to be interpreted as
specified at [2] for the purposes of validation.

1. Schema annotation

Pro: A Schema annotation allows this mode of processing to be used
outside of the WSDL context.

Con: A WSDL processor may be simpler to implement if the processing
model is specified outside the context of Schema.  What is the scope of
allowable annotatins?

2. WSDL Types extension

<wsdl:types wsdx:ignoreUnknowns>

Pro: Minimal syntax and solution.

Con: May not be sufficiently flexible or powerful.

3. Extension on each child of wsdl:types

   <xs:import wsdx:ignoreUnknowns/>

Pro: Allows medium grained control over types

Con: Medium grained control - perhaps too much or too little?

4. New WSDL Type element

Pro: Minimal syntax and solution

Con: May not be sufficiently flexible or powerful

5. Feature

<interface name="ns1:Bank">

   <feature uri="http://@@ignoreUnknowns" required="true"/>

Pro: Re-use of the F&P syntax, processing model and extensibility

Con: May not need entire F&P model, may not get implemented in WSDL
processors that do not implement F&P

6. Interface (I), Binding(B), Endpoint(E), Operation(O), Message(M)

<interface wsdx:ignoreUnknowns/>

<operation wsdx:ignoreUnknowns/>

Pro: Fine grained control over application of processing model,

Con: May re-invent part of F&P extensibility model, especially for

Excluded options

1. ignoreUnknowns is the rule

2. Same rules as above, but with ignoreUnknowns as the default

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Jun/0012.html

[2] http://www.markuptechnology.com/XMLEu2004/

Join CEO Alfred Chuang and CTO Mark Carges on June 15 for a unique online
event, giving you the first look at a new category of enterprise software
built specifically for Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA).

Register Now.  It's Free!