Re: Question re: WSDL 2.o and (schema) xs:import

James,

We aren't changing the behavior of xs:import. If a WSDL document refers to
an XSD namespace then it MUST declare that namespace by an explicit
<xs:import>, For example, suppose we have 3 documents, A.wsdl, B.xsd, and
C.xsd, and suppose their target namespaces are A, B, and C. Suppose
further that B.xsd imports C, and that A.wsdl refers to types from both B
and C. Then A.wsdl MUST import both B and C. Even though B.wsd imports C,
A.wsdl must still explicitly import C. This is what we mean by <xs:import>
not being transitive. That's precisely how it works in XSD too.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

"RDBMS" <RDBMS@aol.com>
Sent by: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
07/11/2005 07:40 PM
Please respond to
"RDBMS"

"Booth, David \(HP Software - Boston\)" <dbooth@hp.com>
cc
<www-ws-desc@w3.org>, Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Subject
Re: Question re: WSDL 2.o and (schema) xs:import

Thank you for your response re: WSDL 2.0 and xs:import.

Actually, what I had read and interpreted from the WSDL 2.0 draft is that
cascading schema imports (xs:import) are not supported.

Perhaps a misinterpretation on my part of the "transitive" editor comment
in the draft, but as I read the detail, it appeared that a schema
referenced by xs:import within the WSDL <types/> section that also then
imports another schema directly from within the first schema - but
directly from within the schema, not another WSDL xs:import declaration
(and so on) would not be supported by WSDL 2.0.

This capability (schema xs:import to schema, xs:import to schema,
xs:import to schema etc.) is supported by XML Schemas. I can create a
schema that imports another schema (or several schemas) of a different
namespace, and that schema can then import yet another schema (or several
schemas) of yet another namespace, and so on.

This scenario is quite common in my experience and allows for broad scale
reuse of modular and standard sub-schemas (e.g. representing data
standards, enterprise data structures, common type libraries, etc.).

My question/concern was that as I read the WSDL 2.0 draft with the comment
re: schema import not being transitive, this common and critical
capability of XML schemas (import to import to import and so on) would not
be allowed or supported when the primary/parent schema (the one doing all
the subordinate imports) is imported within the WSDL <types/> section.

Hopefully this makes some sense ;-)

Any information, clarification, or confirmation is much appreciated !
Thank you !
J. Bean
P.O. Box 30171
Phoenix, AZ  85046-0171