W3C

Web Services Description Teleconference

7 Apr 2005

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Charlton Barreto, webMethods
Rebecca Bergersen, IONA Technologies
David Booth, W3C
Allen Brookes, Rogue Wave Software
Roberto Chinnici, Sun Microsystems
Ugo Corda, SeeBeyond
Glen Daniels, Sonic Software
Paul Downey, British Telecommunications
Hugo Haas, W3C
Tom Jordahl, Macromedia
Anish Karmarkar, Oracle
Kevin Canyang Liu, SAP
Dale Moberg, Cyclone Commerce
Jean-Jacques Moreau, Canon
David Orchard, BEA Systems
Bijan Parsia, University of Maryland MIND Lab
Tony Rogers, Computer Associates
Asir Vedamuthu, webMethods
Umit Yalcinalp, SAP
Regrets
Youenn Fablet, Canon
Jacek Kopecky, DERI Innsbruck at the Leopold-Franzens-Universitšt Innsbruck, Austria
Arthur Ryman, IBM
Chair
JMarsh
Scribe
pauld

Contents


 

 

<scribe> Scribe: pauld

minutes from 31/3/2005 approved

Action Item Review

Glen will post an e-mail describing the compromise proposal on formal objections by next week's call

<Roberto> the proposal is at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Mar/0038.html

<Marsh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004May/0007.html

pauld: explains difficulties in binding code to schema, in particular round-tripping hash tables to and from XML . schema

Marsh: seems more like spec than primer material

Tom: seems like could be useful

umit: maybe we should involve people from jaxb

marsh: maybe we could publish this as a note
... could gain more interest

pauld: prefers idea of note, could be more open to review by people from, say JAXB, Castor etc

marsh: could be helpful for scheduling WG work
... could be taken as a member submission

<scribe> ACTION: pauld to make a proposal on the packaging of the schema examples by 2005-04-13 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/04/07-ws-desc-minutes.html#action01]

Administrivia

discussion of Berlin, could we meet later on the monday?

<Marsh> ACTION: Marsh to look at adjustments to the Memorial Day meeting schedule. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/04/07-ws-desc-minutes.html#action02]

hugo: created registration page for Berlin

marsh: decision to drop schema examples from the primer and pubish as a separate note

-ACTION 1

dbooth: now working on the primer before leaving the group end of next week
... will attempt to dial-in for a review at the next f2f

media type description issues

Marsh: we lost umit and Anish has to drop off .. skipping it

Issue LC76d

<Marsh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Apr/0026.html

http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/#LC76d

hugo: explains his soap modules proposal

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Apr/0026.html

glen: doesn't think soap headers and modules are all that similar
... semantics are different .. headers are about putting data items in a message, modules imply more functionality

anish: also many to one mapping between headers and modules

marsh: not sure why that difference prevents them being used in different places

asir: one of the rules i wrote up for LC76b was to prevent multiple declarations to simplify composition

daveo: you might be targetting things at different roles

hugo: proposal linked from issues list is not the one we adopted

asir: we made some tweeks to the proposal

marsh: maybe someone would like to raise another issue on why we're restricting them to be unique

roberto: soap module can appear on a binding so as to effect multiple operations? seems like currently we allow modules every where (seems correct) except on a faultref (which seems wrong)

asir: timing issue, part 1 wasn't ready when i wrote my proposal and predates faultrefs

roberto: should allow a soap module inside a binding fault, since we allow it in infault and outfault anyway

tom: why do we allow a list of qnames?

hugo: need to review this in my proposal

tom: we shouldn't allow this given iheader is already repeatable

asir: thinks editorial draft is wrong

tom: cannot see the use-case for specifying a header that only comes on an outfault on a single operation

glen: that's just the way it is as certain operations may require extra headers, eg. some secured others not

tom: seems too flexible, esp for language bindings. seems odd that you'd occasionally want to put a header in a fault
... this is going to be difficult to implement.

glen: semantics may change dependent on the operation
... most useful place for soap headers in individual message references (apart from the garbage can)

asir: can live with tom's suggestion
... matches proposal agreed at the f2f

hugo: made the proposal to realign soap modules with headers but didn't want to reopen other issues. willing to withdraw my proposal

marsh: anyone object ot adding soap module to the binding fault?
... get rid of list of qnames and not allowing soap header in the infault /outfault.
... let's finish this non-controversial editorial work before discussing this again

LC47

<Marsh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Apr/0007.html

<asir> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-soap12-part1-20030624/#faultstringelement

discussion of how HTTP reasonPhrase works

asir: suggests possible symetric use of reason from soap binding

tom: ship it!

RESOLUTION: accept daveo's reasonPhrase proposal for LC47

Issue LC69a

general bafflement why ';' is the default separator in XForms, most WG members prefer '&'

RESOLUTION: accept proposal for LC69a using '&' as a default separator highlighting difference to XForms WG

Issue LC77a:

http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/issues.html#LC77a

daveo: outlines his proposal: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Apr/0005.html

<Marsh> <ns1:town>Fréjus</ns1:town>

<Marsh> <town xmlns="URI-for-ns1">Fréjus</town>

<Marsh> <date xmlns="URI-for-ns2">2004-01-16</date>

daveo: my preference is for option#3

asir: webMethods has an implementation for HTTP binding in WSDL 1.1 sequence must contain element names whose target namespace is absent.

<Marsh> (Change from "local" to "unqualified".)

<asir> option #4 is at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2005Apr/0032.html

daveo: languages may have multiple namespaces and resuse the same local name

marsh: prefix is content that needs to be communicated

hugo: how do we enforce this? uri style?

marsh: schema doesn't describe the prefix (if indeed one exists, could be using the default namespace)

daveo: we have to realise that putting things in uris differs to sending infosets

marsh: sadly we're out of time just as we get into the meat of this
... would like someone to push on option#3 and move the thread forward

<dbooth> DaveO, do you mean that the particular NS prefix that happens to occur in the XML Schema would then be blessed as the "official" NS prefix?

ACTION: hugo to push forward discussion of daveo's proposal option#3 for LC77a by 2005-04-08 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/04/07-ws-desc-minutes.html#action03]

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Marsh to look at adjustments to the Memorial Day meeting schedule. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/04/07-ws-desc-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: pauld to make a proposal on the packaging of the schema examples by 2005-04-13 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/04/07-ws-desc-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: hugo to push forward discussion of daveo's proposal option#3 for LC77a by 2005-04-08 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/04/07-ws-desc-minutes.html#action03]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.122 (CVS log)
$Date: 2005/04/07 16:34:03 $