Re: Web Services support for oubound notifications

For the use case that you appear most interested in, WSDL 2.0 part 2
predefines two "notification" style MEPs, out-only and robust out-only,
which differ in their fault propagation rulesets (the robust form
permits error reporting).

I believe that part 3 does not provide bindings for these MEPs (but I
could be wrong).

WSDL 2.0 does not contain explicit support for "subscription" style
operations, but should provide adequate facilities for other
specifications, such as WS Notification or WS Eventing, to map those
operations together with associated notifications.  It is felt that this
is all that is within the scope of the WSD WG.

Part three of the specification provides more explicit information on
use of certain MEPs with SOAP over HTTP.  Other binding specifications
might, for instance, be explicit on the mapping of subscription
operations to associated notifications, if the binding were for a
network protocol with in-built support for these sorts of operations.
As the WG is not defining those bindings, it cannot provide further
direction, only the basic tools (that is, the MEPs) that such bindings
might be expected to utilize.  One of the goals of part three is to
demonstrate how an external specification (the XMLP 1.2 HTTP binding)
can be mapped to WSDL via the extensions mechanism; the WG hopes to see
other parties use this example to create additional protocol bindings as
needed.

Amy!
(speaking for herself and her understanding of the WG, not officially
for the WG by any measure)
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:23:59 -0500
Steve Graham <sggraham@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> one place where this style of message exchange is being standardized
> is in the OASIS WS-Notification TC [1]
>
> [1]http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wsn
>
> ++++++++
> Steve Graham
> (919)254-0615 (T/L 444)
> STSM, On Demand Architecture
> Member, IBM Academy of Technology
> <Soli Deo Gloria/>
> ++++++++
>

> Tom_Antony@i2.com
> Sent by: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
> 11/18/2004 03:34 AM

> www-ws-desc@w3.org
> cc
>
> Subject
> Web Services support for oubound notifications

> Hi,
>
> Has the W3C formalized aspects related to 'Out-Only' interaction
> pattern like how the client registers interest in receiving these
> notifications and
> the implications of that on generating wsdl from an abstract schema
> that defines an outbound operation, like generating additional
> operations for register/unregister , operation  definition for client
> to implement which the endpoint can later invoke using the registered
> url etc. We are investigating how 'Outbound Notifications' can be
> suported in the web services world.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom Antony,
> i2 Technologies.
>
> P.S : I am not part of this list , please copy me on reply.

Senior Architect
TIBCO/Extensibility, Inc.