RE: Indicating element nodes that must be optimized with XOP

From: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 16:57:46 -0700
To: "Hugo Haas" <hugo@w3.org>, <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

> The values of xop:optimize could be false or true, true
> meaning that if a XOP is used, e.g. with the HTTP
> Transmission Optimization Feature, the element node must be
> optimized, false being the default value and leaving it up to
> the sender to decide whether to optimize or not an element node.

I suggest that the xop:optimize attribute be just a hint for the
optimization engine.

According to the current description of the XOP Processing Model, when
XOP is applied to the message transmission the XOP run-time takes charge
of identifying the candidates for optimization (see sec. 4.1, step 4).
So I think that saying that xop:optimize provides a hint to the XOP
run-time is the correct way of relating to the XOP spec.

We should also keep in mind that there is no guarantee that a
base64Binary element can be optimized. That is only possible when the
run time value of the element is in canonical lexical representation.

Ugo