RE: New issue: XML1.1 and WSDL 2.0 schemas

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 12:36:40 +0100
To: <jean-jacques.moreau@crf.canon.fr>, <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
Cc: <ylafon@w3.org>, <herve.ruellan@crf.canon.fr>
i think we have to work not to preclude to possibility of WSDL 2.0
documents being serialised as XML 1.1, since hopefully WSDL could
continue to exist in a world should XML 1.1, or other unforeseen
serialisations (heresy!) become the norm.

Though i can't say i'm under pressure to publish interfaces with
element names written in  Mongolian, Yi, Cambodian, Amharic,
Dhivehi, Burmese or sets with the "Noah"[1] glyph yet! [2]

There is a problem with our normative use of Schema 1.0, but Schema
1.1 is being developed now and ISTR they are considering XML 1.1 too.

i guess a WSDL 2.0 / XML1.1 document could import or include a
Schema 1.1 / XML 1.0 document, but that raises another issue:

   is it valid for a XML 1.1 document to import or include a XML 1.0
   document (and vice versa)?

This is all separate to the question of messages being described - should we
describe that a binding supports, say,  SOAP messages serialised in XML 1.0
and 1.1 - this seems important to me since i don't know of an interoperable way
of negotiating the XML version.

Paul

[1]  Noah Mendelson's TP quick-fire talk!
[2] http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/effectivexml/chapters/03.html