W3C

Web Services Description Teleconference
11 Mar 2004

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
 David Booth            W3C
 Allen Brookes          Rogue Wave Software
 Roberto Chinnici       Sun Microsystems
 Paul Downey            British Telecommunications
 Tom Jordahl            Macromedia
 Jacek Kopecky          Systinet
 Amelia Lewis           TIBCO
 Kevin Canyang Liu      SAP
 Jonathan Marsh         Chair (Microsoft)
 Dale Moberg            Cyclone Commerce
 Jean-Jacques Moreau    Canon
 David Orchard          BEA Systems
 Arthur Ryman           IBM
 Adi Sakala             IONA Technologies
 William Vambenepe      Hewlett-Packard
 Asir Vedamuthu         webMethods
 Sanjiva Weerawarana    IBM
 Prasad Yendluri        webMethods, Inc.
Regrets
 Erik Ackerman          Lexmark
 Glen Daniels           Sonic Software
 Youenn Fablet          Canon
 Hugo Haas              W3C
 Ingo Melzer            DaimlerChrysler
 Jerry Thrasher         Lexmark
Chair
Jonathan Marsh
Scribe
dmoberg

Contents


<Scribe> Minutes accepted

<dbooth> Error in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0243.html

<Scribe> almost, except some misattributions of David Orchard to David Booth

<dbooth> Error in:

<dbooth> [[

<dbooth> Poll: Shall we remove the text pasted above, beginning "The

<dbooth> extension

<dbooth> specification" from Section 3.2

<dbooth> Yes: David Booth, Glen, Jacek

<dbooth> No: Gudge, Yaron, Amy, Bijan, Arthur, Jerry, Asir, Sanjiva

<dbooth> Abstain: Paul, Youenn, Umit

<dbooth> ]]

<dbooth> That should have been David Orchard, not David Booth.

Action item review

Review of Action items [.1].
Pending   2003-09-18: Marsh to review the QA operational
                      guidelines.
Pending   2004-01-08: Pauld to write up examples of schemas for the
                      Primer.
Pending   2004-01-28: Philippe and JMarsh will look at the ipr for 
                      test suite.
RETIRED   2004-01-28: Sanjiva to consistify the @name attributes.
DONE [.2] 2004-01-29: David Booth to suggest improvements to the 
                      spec clarifying "WSDL processor".
Pending   2004-01-30: DaveO to write up a proposal for augmenting 
                      schema information to enable versioned data. DONE [.3] 2004-01-30: Umit to write a proposal on @wsdlLocation 
DONE [.4] 2004-01-30: Hugo to draft a note for the group around 
                      safe operations.
Pending   2004-02-12: DaveO to produce a refined proposal for Asynch 
                      HTTP binding addressing the concerns of folks 
                      that object to leaving replyTo info out of WSDL.
DONE      2004-02-12: David Orchard to produce a specific example of 
                      the kind of specification improvements he
                      envisions.
DONE [.5] 2004-02-26: Paul volunteers to enumerate options for indicating 
                      version.
RETIRED   2004-02-26: DavidO to clarify where the combined version URI 
                      would appear and how it would be used.
RETIRED   2004-02-26: Glen to merge discussion on Issue 120 and produce 
                      updated proposal 
EDTODO    2004-02-26: Editors to adopting the diff in Gudge's proposal
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0232.html) 
                      along with the two additional words to 
                      Section 3.2. (#143)
EDTODO    2004-02-26: Editors to rename the message property to 
                      "element" (#142).
EDTODO    2004-02-26: Editors to clarify wording (#122).
DONE [.6] 2004-02-26: Paul and Asir to review the SOAP Data Model 
                      Schema.
EDTODO    2004-03-04: Editors to add back the WSDL Component Designators

                      back to the spec as SHOULD.
EDTODO    2004-03-04: Editors to incorporate the above proposal to 
                      issue 79.
          2004-03-04: DBooth to propose specific changes needed for 
                      processor conformance text.
EDTODO    2004-03-04: Primer Editors to include best practices and the 
                      Schema group to review the best practices 
                      language.
EDTODO    2004-03-05: Editors to clarify the spec to say that
                      wsdl:required attribute means that a feature 
                      must be understood and it must be engaged.
EDTODO    2004-03-05: Editors to clarify that the strongest value of
                      the @wsdl:required attribute wins.
EDTODO    2004-03-05: Editors to add clarification text with regards to 
                      issue 121.
EDTODO    2004-03-05: Editors to write in the spec the wsdlLocation
                      global attribute proposal along what has been 
                      done for xsi:schemaLocation
EDTODO    2004-03-05: Editor to add optional Boolean "safe" attribute to
                      interface operation, corresponding property in 
                      the component model.
Pending   2004-03-05: DavidO to notify TAG about our decision on safety.
EDTODO    2004-03-05: Editors to further clarify the spec to make clear
                      that all operations must be bound.
EDTODO    2004-03-05: Editors to clarify the spec to say that its ok to
                      have bad imports but if during QName resolution 
                      you can't find something then it fails like any 
                      other qname resolution issue.
EDTODO    2004-03-05: Editors to update draft to say that include will
                      fail early.
EDTODO    2004-03-05: Editors to add text saying two imports with same 
                      import/@targetNamespace is legal.
Done [.7] 2004-03-05: GlenD and Sanjiva to come up with a proposal for 
                      consistent naming between identifiers (@name) 
                      and references (@xxxRef?)
EDTODO    2004-03-05: Editors to clarify that if an optional extension 
                      (i.e., an extension not marked as required) is 
                      not understood it MUST be ignored. Any not 
                      understood extension attributes MUST be ignored.
EDTODO    2004-03-05: Editors (namely Gudge and Roberto) to update the 
                      schema and the spec accordingly.
EDTODO    2004-03-05: Editors to change spec to require absolute URIs
                      and indicate that comparison must be done 
                      character-by-character as per TAG finding. DONE [.6] 2004-03-05: Asir will send comments to list.
Pending   2004-03-05: Jonathan to send a note to XMLP, asking them for 
                      volunteers for editors.
Pending   2004-03-05: Editors of media type proposal to give Jonathan a 
                      list of open issues.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0234.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0257.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0246.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Mar/0014.html
[.6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Mar/0025.html
[.7] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Mar/0067.html

<Scribe> Sanjiva will send email next week on status.

JM: Send tests to mailing list and standard rules govern contribution, to be

New York meeting update.

JM: Start at 8 AM Thurs and Fri.

<Scribe> ACTION: Sanjiva fills in data on logistics page.

<Scribe> Meeting in UK, Move to August?

<Scribe> or last week of July

<pdowney> should know soon, march is end of financial year here ..

Charter renewal

<Scribe> Note on privacy needs to be review, Hugo.

<Scribe> Dietmar and Mike Champion left group.

New issues

<Marsh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0242.html

<Scribe> Request for clarification on Endpoints, qname.

<Scribe> Sanjiva claims there is an explanation already

<Scribe> Unique name within a service "namespace"

<Scribe> Endpoint and Operation names to be similarly treated, marked as editorial

<dbooth> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl20/wsdl20.html?rev=1.27&content-type=text/html;%20charset=iso-8859-1#InterfaceOperation

<Scribe> Consider section 2.4.1

<dbooth> [[

<dbooth> That is, this specification does not preclude one from having two distinct

<dbooth> ]]

<Scribe> ACTION: editorial clarify 2.4.1 on why no global qname reference

<sanjiva> The above action is to clarify that even though we identify operations &

<dbooth> ACTION: Editors to clarify 2.4.1 on why no global qname reference

<Scribe> Issue 115 for Umit postponed

<Scribe> ACTION: JMarsh finds part of spec impacted by 115 andn send mail out to group

<Marsh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Mar/0059.html

<Scribe> Arthur endorses having XML syntax in text and in examples (Tom J will probably

<Scribe> Jacek proposes a text section rather than appendix (?)

<Scribe> Tom favors reorg to improve readability

<Scribe> Sanjiava acks that infoset speak an acquired taste

<Scribe> schema bashing remarks omitted

<Scribe> Amy defends infoset speak and does not see advantage to email proposal on

<Scribe> Roberto urges dropping EII AII and focus on component model speak

<Scribe> But urges conserving current format at the end of day

<Scribe> David Orchard thinks stylistic compromise good but concedes difficulty in

<Scribe> Tom J urges beefing up readable XSLT syntax sections but leave component stuff

<Scribe> Tom J notes that spec readability continues to improve

<Scribe> Format conventions might help say J Marsh

<Scribe> Arthur concedes formality but suggests something like style sheets to shift

<Scribe> Or icons to collapse or expand, Marsh

<Scribe> DavidB says style to support selective style read would be interesting

<Scribe> Asir asks about how this tinkering would impact schedule

<Scribe> JMarsh says editorial and not new issues

<Scribe> Amy unvolunteers for style sheet production

<Scribe> Amy as implementer found precision useful.

<alewis> WSDL 1.1 contains examples, text, and a schema, which are not actually

<alewis> (to the extent of variant names for attributes and ambiguity in cardinality of

<Scribe> Poll 1 is whether to refactor by moving text around from 2.x. and ? to another

<Scribe> or appendix.

<Scribe> Yes 3, No 11, some abstains

<Scribe> No objections to recording consensus as proposal to refactor/move rejected

<Scribe> Poll 2 is to take the effort to experiment with a stylistic option.

<Scribe> No 0, Yes 5, Abstains numerous

<dbooth> +1 to Amy's suggestion

<Scribe> An adhoc group forms to explore J Marsh, D Booth, D Orchard

<Scribe> ACTION: adhoc group forms to explore stylistic rendering plan J Marsh D Booth

Issue 151: attribute name consistency

<Marsh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Mar/0067.html

Sanjiva: when declaring, use "name" & when referring use "ref". Two changes

<Scribe> Kevin notes two areas to correct, one was ncname where qname should occur

<sanjiva> See

<sanjiva> (I like XML angle bracket syntax too .. :-))

<Scribe> Scribe interrupted locally and missed a bit on the second problem Kevin noted

<Scribe> Tom wonders whether name/ref change is all that helpful

<Scribe> Tom has his wonder resolved.

<Scribe> ACTION: close issue 151 with name to ref changes as found in email 67

<Scribe> ACTION: change label to messagelabel as proposed by Sanjiva

<Scribe> Approve the change to add a Property for Value as proposed by Sanjiva

<sanjiva> Kevin: I just corrected the bug in the binding fault component (should be

<sanjiva> ACTION: editors to add a {value} property to the Property component

<Scribe> Two issues: message with empty body? unconstrained content?

<Scribe> Proposal #any or #empty to allowable values in the @element attribute in

<pdowney> likes the propsal, but reminds the WG '£' is a 'pound' and '#' is a 'hash' or

<Scribe> Roberto requests remarks on component model changes that this proposal

<Scribe> ACTION: JMarsh to provide remarks as requested by Roberto on the proposal for

<Scribe> ACTION: Jacek takes an action that was missed by scribe in closing flurry

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: adhoc group forms to explore stylistic rendering plan J Marsh
  D Booth
[NEW] ACTION: change label to messagelabel as proposed by Sanjiva
[NEW] ACTION: close issue 151 with name to ref changes as found in email 67
[NEW] ACTION: editorial clarify 2.4.1 on why no global qname reference
[NEW] ACTION: editors to add a {value} property to the Property component
[NEW] ACTION: Editors to clarify 2.4.1 on why no global qname reference
[NEW] ACTION: Jacek takes an action that was missed by scribe in closing
  flurry
[NEW] ACTION: JMarsh finds part of spec impacted by 115 andn send mail out
  to group
[NEW] ACTION: JMarsh to provide remarks as requested by Roberto on the
  proposal for
[NEW] ACTION: Sanjiva fills in data on logistics page.
 

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl 1.61 (CVS log)
$Date: 2004/02/24 17:22:35 $