RE: WSDL Import/Include Locations

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:51:13 -0000
To: <ygoland@bea.com>, <mgudgin@microsoft.com>
Cc: <ryman@ca.ibm.com>, <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Yaron

i was moved by your passion for this subject, and so have been thinking
a bit more about the load-balancing of WSDL. i now think this is less of
a generic problem with URIs and more of a specific problem with HTTP.
I'd suggest that a 'little-guy' could publish the WSDL and any imported/
included documents not as http:// but under some other more P2P like
scheme which could implement the balancing to an array of resources
available over HTTP or whatever. Unfortunately such an interoperable
load-balancing transport doesn't exist now, but i don't think that's
the fault of WSDL, or a problem to be solved in WSDL 2.0.

As for the big-guy, little-guy argument you mentioned in last night's call,
i'm slightly mystified given that fetching the WSDL is usually a one-off
cacheable activity - the endpoint of service itself would still be
slashdotted and i'm not sure that's a problem to be solved in this WG
either.

Paul

--
Paul Sumner Downey