Effort to simplifying our spec

From: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:21:02 -0500
To: David Orchard <david.orchard@bea.com>, Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org

DaveO & Jonathan,

SUMMARY
I don't think the style sheet approach will work.  I recommend we continue
as is.

EXPLANATION
I've looked over our Part1 spec to think about how we might simplify the
presentation to the reader.

At present, I don't think a style sheet approach that would expand or
contract the text is feasible.  The main issue is that each section has
both a subsection on the properties of that component, and a subsection on
the mapping from the XML infoset to those properties.  For example:
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl20/wsdl20.html#Definitions_XMLRep
and
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl20/wsdl20.html#Definitions_Mapping

Much of the content of those subsections is fairly boilerplate, merely
repeating what is evident from the pseudo-schema above.  But the problem is
that they aren't ENTIRELY boilerplate: both of these subsections have
meaningful, non-boilerplate text mixed in with (boring) boilerplate text.

It might be possible to factor out the meaningful, non-boilerplate text,
but I'm not sure we could reliably ensure that no meaningful text ever
crept back in, so I'd be wary of using a style sheet to hide parts.

I don't see an easy solution to this problem, so at this point I suggest we
continue as is.

--
David Booth
W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard