From: Umit Yalcinalp [mailto:umit.yalcinalp@oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 01:41 PM
To: Liu, Kevin
Cc: Sanjiva Weerawarana; www-ws-desc@w3.org
Subject: Re: features & properties: anywhere or only selected places??

Liu, Kevin wrote:

I don't recall the group has ever agreed that F&P can appear under <service>. What's the use case for that?

I am making a proposal and agreeing with Sanjiva that we should not be restrictive. Typically, we are not restrictive in our specs especially for things that are extensions to the model.

It's only a few days to our last call, how many of us in the group are confident that he/she fully understand how the WSDL F&P things work. Am I the only one worrying? Since Feature and property are such an important area, I am very concerned that we are making WSDL unnecessarily complicated while only provide a partial solution.

That is the whole point, in order not to provide a partial solution, we should not put restrictions and extend it to the service element. The use case is very simple. Instead of applying a particular feature to a specific binding, it may apply to all endpoints in a service. If I were to publish an OperationName feature,  it could easily belong  to a service element as to indicate that it applies to all the endpoints.

</snip>

Best Regards,

Kevin

--umit