Re: WSDL Import/Include Locations

As a member of this group I work hard to make productive contributions.
I spend a lot of time preparing what I'm going to say. I realize that
this can still result in me saying silly things but at least I try hard
to prevent it.

So if I'm now saying something silly I apologize. I've thought this one
through as best as I'm able and I just don't understand the objections.

If someone defines a WSDL which imports/includes other information then,
generally speaking, the WSDL can't be run unless that other information
is available. However endpoints on the Internet, along with the Internet
itself, are unreliable.

One of the most common ways to deal with unreliability is to make
information available at distinct locations. The advantage of making
data available at distinct locations is that not only does it provide
reliability in the face of endpoint failures but it also provides
reliability in the face of network failures.

If one has a list of possible locations then there are two distinct
strategies one can use in retrieving the data. One can walk through the
list serially or in parallel.

Generally speaking serially is preferred. Not only does it reduce the
load on the network but it also distributes the load (assuming a random
starting point in the list) amongst the various endpoints. This later
quality is especially nice as many organizations do not have the
resources to run multiple endpoints so if they want to distribute their
WSDL they will need to ask other people for a favor. The beauty of a
serial based system is that the more people are willing to carry a copy
of the document the less load each volunteer has to deal with. In other
words, serial processing of alternate locations encourages people to
volunteer to replicate each other's content. This is pure goodness.

Parallel processing also has its place. In cases where performance is
super critical it is can be reasonable to download redundant data in
parallel in order to reduce the worst case performance scenario. But
parallel processing of location lists should be used sparringly. It puts
a much heavier load on the net and it actively discourages volunteers to
replicate data since each volunteer will have to bear the full load of
all requests regardless of how many volunteers there are. This is the
opposite of serial processing where the larger the set of volunteers the
less load each volunteer has to carry.

If I understand what is being proposed below then in the case of
importing documents it would be legal to import the same content
multiple times. Which is a good thing. But, if the only way to get
robust behavior is to include multiple redundant imports then we are
forcing everyone, everywhere to use parallel loading. This means we are
actively discouraging people from replicating each other's data. That
just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Allowing import/include to have more than one URI and specifying that
the list is to be processed serially with a random start location is not
a new design. It is well understood, well proven and widely used. Why is
there so much resistence to something so obvious?

I apologize if I'm being block headed but I really don't understand the
source of contention.

	Thank you for your time and patience,

		Yaron