RE: WSDL Import/Include Locations

Gudge,

I think we are forced to allow the same component to be imported more than
once because this will occur for diamond inheritance. For example, suppose
we have four interfaces in four WSDL documents.

interface Person
interface Manager extends Person
interface Engineer extends Person
interface EngineeringManager extends Manager, Engineer

Manager.wsdl imports Person.wsdl
Engineer.wsdl imports Person.wsdl
EngineeringManager imports Manager.wsdl and Engineer.wsdl

When EngineeringManager.wsdl gets processed its component model includes
the component models from both Manager.wsdl and Engineer.wsdl, which means
that the Person interface component gets added to the component model of
EngineeringManager twice. Since this was an important use case (i.e.
diamond inheritance) we agreed to allow duplicate component definitions,
provided they were the same. If they differ, it's an error.

Generalizing this situation, we allow the same definition to be added
mutliple times via imports or includes, either directly or indirectly.
Therefore, it is permissible to import or include the same document via
many different URIs.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077