RE: Issue 130: Asynch request/response HTTP binding needed

all or some of this may be related to Issue 130.:

Expectation was very high (at least within my company) that
WSDL 2.0 would say *something* regarding asynchronous Web service
interactions. This is something we have great need in describing and
have to roll our own solutions ATM in the absence of an open and
interoperable standard.

So if you can bear with me i've some use-cases to work through
before going down the "say nothing" path:

  1) a MEP is implemented on a transport which
     provides a return path for a receiver back to a
     sender (e.g. a HTTP connection, a 'replyTo' address).

  2) a MEP is implemented using a transport which doesn't
     provide a return path for a receiver to communicate
     with the sender, or the return path isn't back to
     the original sender.

  3) one or more separate operations are used to implement a
     higher level MEP, such as in the WS-I callback scenario[1]

Case (1) is OK with WSDL 2.0 so long as the bound transport
(sync or async) has a return address mechanism.

Case (2) requires an addressing mechanism to be carried in the
message contents - WS-Addressing, WS-MessageDelivery or some such.

Unfortunately we don't have a standard we can normatively point
to, and as Dave says, this is akin to dispatching: we don't want
to possibly pick the wrong horse or preclude other future mechanisms
- so it's best kicked out to extensions for WSDL 2.0.

Issue 130 AIUI directly relates to (3). Dave's proposal[2] seemed
to address this issue, but i think in a hard-wired fashion?
The two endpoints being described in WSDL up front and tied together.
Whilst this could be useful, i'd imagine most people would prefer
to use a ReplyTo field carried dynamically in the message.
This puts (2) and (3) into the same bucket IMO.

So, sadly, "say nothing" sounds like the most pragmatic route for
this WG, and all i have to do now is work out how to break the bad
news to my colleagues.

Paul

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jun/0217.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004May/0029.html