expectedMediaType and Accept header syntax (was Re: Action item: HTTP binding for accepts header and output Serialization.)

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:28:19 +0200
To: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Cc: Web Services Description <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
* David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com> [2004-06-24 03:59-0700]
> huh.  If the expected media type uses spaces as separators, then this is
> a different string than the HTTP accept header.  And thus the media type
> cannot be used to create the accept header.  Voila, problem about
> relating the two of them is solved, as there is some application
> specific relationship.

Actually, we may want to regard this as a bug: it is desirable to have
a syntax for expectedMediaType compatible with the HTTP Accept header
syntax.

This can be done simply by making expectedMediaType a comma-separated
list of expectedMediaTypeItem by using the appropriate regular
expression, which I'm afraid will be complex.

Also, I just realized that our syntax doesn't accomodate
accept-params[1].

Regards,

Hugo

  1. http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.1