Issue 214: Refine "properties" terminology

From: Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:48:45 -0700
To: "Web Services Description" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Mark is absolutely right [1] that we use the term "property" way too
much.  Especially in [2] where one can use the terms ambiguously - we
could talk about the properties of the Property component, which include
the property {value} whose value is the value of the property (sound
circular?)

However, using the term "property" for the fields of the component is
consistent with Schema and the infoset.  The term "property" for the F&P
property is consistent with SOAP.  The clash in those two sources of
terms is what's causing the confusion.  If we change one to something
else (like "attribute") we are likely to lose the correspondence with
either SOAP or Schema, or our own syntax, and risk clashing with some
other spec such as XML.

We are saved to an extent in that except for the Property component,
there isn't much proximity between the use of the two terms.  I can't
actually find a specific place in the spec where the meaning is
ambiguous though, and if we can't identify a specific problem, fiddling
around will likely just make matters worse.  So I sadly suggest we close
this issue with no action.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x214
[2]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl20/wsdl20.html#Prop