RE: Issue 130: Asynch request/response HTTP binding needed

From: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:34:23 -0700
To: "Jonathan Marsh" <jmarsh@microsoft.com>, "Sanjiva Weerawarana" <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>, "Tom Jordahl" <tomj@macromedia.com>, "David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>, "Web Services Description" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

> A further question on how this would impact the spec: As I
> understand it the In-Out pattern has nothing that precludes
> async.  I don't think our SOAP/HTTP binding itself prohibits
> this either.  So are we talking about a new SOAP MEP, a peer
> of the SOAP Request-Response Message Exchange Pattern [1] and
> it's binding to HTTP [2]?

As far as SOAP is concerned, the existing In-Out pattern should already
allow the SOAP binding to use an underlying protocol that supports
asynch request/response. So I imagine the only reason to introduce a new
SOAP MEP would be to provide an asynchronous mechanism that is
independent from a particular underlying protocol. But in order to do
that we would have to rely on standards for addressing and message
correlation that are simply not there yet. So I don't see the
introduction of this new MEP as feasible at this time.

Ugo