Comments - WSDL 2.0 Message Exchange Patterns

From: Mark Nottingham <mark.nottingham@bea.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:35:53 -0700
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org

Please find below my comments on the WSDL 2.0 Message Exchange Patterns
document [1] (dated 2004/02/24).

* The draft uses "patterns" and "WSDL patterns" often; suggest either
normalising to "WSDL Message Exchange Patterns" or beginning the
introduction with "Web Services Description Language (WSDL) message
exchange patterns (hereafter, 'patterns')..."

* It might be advisable to differentiate the MEPs described here from
the messages in underlying protocols (to use SOAP terminology); perhaps
"Interface Message Exchange Patterns"? (I don't feel strongly about
this, just a suggestion)

* A short, formal definition of what a Fault is, in WSDL terms, may be
useful (not necessarily in this document, but somewhere).

* Section 2 uses "generation" in reference to Faults, which seems to
have a different meaning than in SOAP. When A SOAP Fault is generated,
it is not necessarily transmitted on the wire; here, the implication
seems to be that it is. Suggest using "Fault transmission," "Fault
delivery," or "Fault destination" throughout instead. This would make
the first sentences in the section something like: "WSDL patterns
specify the destination and transmission of any Faults generated in a
message exchange using standard rules. The most common such rules are
defined here and referenced by patterns later in this document. A
Fault, regardless of the rule in effect, terminates the message
exchange it occurs in."

* Can the destination or occurrence of a Fault be overridden
dynamically? E.g., can I specify a SOAP header that says "send any
faults over there" or "keep that fault to yourself"?) If so, the
mechanisms in section 2 should be couched as "Default Fault Generation
Rules," or "Default Fault Transmission Rules", with appropriate
explanatory text, if the previous suggestion is accepted.

Office of the CTO   BEA Systems