Re: Issue 225: accommodating non-XML data models (proposal)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:43:25 -0700
Mark Nottingham <mark.nottingham@bea.com> wrote:
> Interesting; so you're suggesting that the element AII populates the
> content property when present, but when an alternate data model is in
> use, another attribute might populate the content property?

Yup.

Currently (as I understand it), the element AII populates the {element}
property when present, and is infoset-specific.  An alternate schema
language *may* use an alternate AII to populate this property (or, as in
the two current extension examples, it may reuse element).

So I'd propose we continue in that direction.  For one thing, the
restrictions on what you can put in the content if you are using W3C XML
Schema *are* well modelled by an attribute named "element".  That's what
it is.  You can't put in a type or a choice or a substitution group or
anything.  It has to be a global element.  An "element" AII describes this
implicitly.  Another data model that wants to describe other things should
use other attribute names.

Senior Architect
TIBCO/Extensibility, Inc.
alewis@tibco.com