Re: Which operation?

On Jun 14, 2004, at 2:56 PM, David Booth wrote:

>>      <wsdl:interface name="StockQuotes">
>>          <wsdl:operation name="getStockQuote" wsdl:webMethod="GET">
>>              <wsdl:input element="schema1"/>
>>              <wsdl:output element="schema2"/>
>>          </wsdl:operation>
>>          <wsdl:operation name="getStockQuoteGoldPayingCustomer"
>> wsdl:webMethod="GET">
>>              <wsdl:input element="schema1"/>
>>              <wsdl:output element="schema2"/>
>>          </wsdl:operation>
>>      </wsdl:interface>
>
> If the provider agent receives a message conforming to schema1, how
> can it know whether the requester agent was intending to perform
> wsdl:operation getStockQuote or wsdl:operation
> getStockQuoteGoldPayingCustomer, since they both use the same input
> schema (schema1)?  The short answer is: That is the application's
> problem -- not the WSDL 2.0 specification's problem.

I tend to agree with this, although I think it highlights an underlying
requirement upon bindings to be able to differentiate between the
operations. I.e., it should be possible to configure the binding so
that you can disambiguate the operation being called (e.g., with a
per-operation URI path segment or query parameter).

Cheers,