Re: pls review text added for what "required" means

Sanjiva,

Actually, since the processor conformance section only pertains to the
requester  agent rather than the provider agent, and this material pertains
to the provider agent, I think it may make more sense to put it in section
6 (Language Extensibility).

In section 6, I suggest modifying the first sentence of the opening
paragraph as follows:
[[
In addition to extensibility implied by the Feature and Property components
described above, the schema for WSDL has a two-part extensibility model
based on namespace-qualified elements and attributes.
]]

Then in section 6.1.1 (Mandatory extensions) I suggest changing the second
paragraph to:
[[
An extension that is NOT marked as mandatory MUST NOT invalidate the
meaning of any part of the WSDL document. Thus, a NON-mandatory extension
merely provides additional description of capabilities of the
service.   This specification does not provide a mechanism to mark
extension attributes as being required.  Thereore, all extension attributes
are NON-mandatory.
]]
(The sentence about "Furthermore, any extension that is NOT marked as
mandatory and which is NOT understood, MUST be ignored" was unnecessary
here, as that is covered in section 8 Conformance .)

Then after the Note, add:
[[
If a WSDL document declares an extension, Feature or Property as optional
(i.e., NON-mandatory), then the provider agent MUST NOT assume that the
requester agent supports that extension, Feature or Property, _unless_ the
provider agent knows (through some other means) that the requester agent
has in fact elected to engage and support that extension, Feature or
Property.

On the other hand, a requester agent MAY engage an extension, Feature or
Property that is declared as optional in the WSDL document.  Therefore, the
provider agent MUST support every extension, Feature or Property that is
declared as optional in the WSDL document, in addition to supporting every
extension, Feature or Property that is declared as mandatory.

NOTE
If finer-grain, direction-sensitive control of extensions, Features or
Properties is desired, then such extensions, Features or Properties may be
designed in a direction-sensitive manner (from requester or from provider)
so that either direction may be separately marked required or
optional.  For example, instead of defining a single extension that governs
both directions, two extensions could be defined -- one for each direction.
]]

--
David Booth
W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard