RE: Revised Asynch Binding

SOAP separated the protocol MEP from the binding because SOAP can't change the protocol MEPs.  That's *precisely* why SOAP provided a layering on top of the protocol MEPs, as an abstraction on top of the protocol meps.  To a large extent, soap exists because the protocol MEPs were immutable.

Further, SOAP clearly separated the SOAP MEPs from the bindings (particularly HTTP) because it correctly saw that a SOAP MEP is abstract from a particular binding.  In a related discussion, that's why the "web method" is a feature not in the binding.  Those that argue that wsdl:webMethod should only be in the binding would argue that SOAP factored the feature incorrectly, that it should have been only in the binding and not as a feature.

I think we are agreed that an abstract request/response operation MAY be materialized as 2 protocol MEPs, ie
1. ->HTTP POST of soap body with some callback address + correlation
2. <-HTTP RESPONSE
3. <-HTTP POST of soap body to callback address with correlation
4. ->HTTP RESPONSE

Your point is about the response message.  What is *the response message* at the protocol level in an synchronous abstract operation that is bound to 2 protocol MEPs as shown above?  What is *the response message* to the first message?  Is it message #2 or message #3?  My argument says that it can be interpreted as #2.  The soap body was received by the receiver and they response with a 200.  The callback is an application level response, not a "protocol" response and so can and should be a separate soap mep.  You argue it has to be #3, and therefore an illegal use of soap request-response mep.

In between the abstract operation and the protocol are a few tools for us to use: bindings and meps.  I want to provide a more flexible wsdl binding that uses 1 or 2 instances of an existing SOAP MEP and binding, and you want to create a new SOAP MEP.  There are pros and cons to each approach.  I've argued that a good aspect of my approach is that it uses a simple extension in the binding to allow full configuration of both soap MEPs.  A counter argument is that people often assume that only a single SOAP MEP can be used in a given binding, and that it may be harder to explain that 2 instances of a specified soap request response MEP are used in a binding.

Finally, the style of discussion that has gotten a bit inappropriate on this issue.  I've been interpreting a specification as the words are written, not "doing a full-scale violation", nor a "liberal interpretation".  If I've made a mistake, and that's entirely possible, then point out where in the spec.  Particularly, show me where it says in the SOAP spec that a WSDL binding cannot use 2 soap request response MEPs that are each correctly use the SOAP HTTP  binding.

Cheers,
Dave