Re: Issue 169: Propose http method in the operation interface to simplify http binding.

From: Mark Nottingham <mark.nottingham@bea.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:11:56 -0700
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org
To: Amelia A Lewis <alewis@tibco.com>

On Jul 1, 2004, at 10:34 AM, Amelia A Lewis wrote:

> Although this may cause the mob to rise up and lynch me, I also fail
> to be
> convinced that REST is applicable outside the narrow scope of HTTP.
> HTTP
> was, of course, designed (at least in part) around those concepts.
> Possibly Atom is, too.  No other protocol, so far as I know, is, and
> the
> mappings of REST to those protocols are hugely less than convincing.

Differentiate RESTful underlying protocols from RESTful application
design. Just because some protocols don't support RPC (SMTP, anyone?),
you can still map RPC onto them; why is this different?

> Under that circumstance, REST-specific attributes/properties belong in
> HTTP (or HTTP-based) bindings (or perhaps someone wants to create a
> generic "REST" binding?).

I disagree profoundly; it's not binding information; it's inherent in
the design of the interface itself.

Office of the CTO   BEA Systems