Re: Issue 32: SOAP 1.1 support

From: Jeff Mischkinsky <jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:34:12 -0800
To: "David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>, <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Any suggestion on how to handle the IPR issues?
     cheers,
      jeff

At 04:16 PM 1/20/2004, David Orchard wrote:

>BEA Systems has considerable reservations about any decision to not support
>SOAP 1.1 in WSDL 2.0. While we understand much of the motivation - that SOAP
>1.1 is a W3C Note only and the desire to simplify WSDL 2.0 scope - we
>believe that this could harm the adoption of WSDL 2.0 and even SOAP 1.2.
>
>We believe that companies will be deploying both SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2
>solutions. Unfortunately, WSDL 1.1 does not have an elegent mechanism for
>description SOAP 1.2. We have already heard customer pushback on SOAP 1.2
>because of this deficit. That implies that WSDL 2.0 is the solution for
>those wanting to describe SOAP 1.2 deployment. But it is unlikely that
>customers, and all their business partners that they communicate using SOAP
>1.1 will all upgrade to SOAP 1.2 and WSDL 2.0 at the same time. This means
>they will be deploying SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2, and described by WSDL 1.1 and
>WSDL 2.0 respectively.
>
>We believe that requiring both WSDL 1.1 and WSDL 2.0 to co-exist in customer
>and their partner sites will prove too high a barrier for many customers to
>adopt WSDL 2.0. We also believe that even if someone supports WSDL 2.0 and
>SOAP 1.2 their business partners will still continue to use SOAP 1.1 as the
>transition to SOAP 1.2 will take time.  We are also seeing that
>specifications are being published that have explicit support for SOAP 1.1
>and SOAP 1.2. further evidence of a mixture of deployment in the industry.
>Therefore it is important that it be possible to describe SOAP 1.1
>communications in WSDL 2.0 so that a WSDL 2.0 compliant system can continue
>to interact with existing partners.
>
>We ask the group to consider resolving Issue 32 in favour of SOAP 1.1
>support.
>
>Cheers,
>Dave

Jeff Mischkinsky                      jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com
Consulting Member Technical Staff     +1(650)506-1975
Director, Web Services Standards      500 Oracle Parkway M/S 4OP9
Oracle Corporation                    Redwood Shores, CA 94065