RE: encodingStyle

Paul, it may be already resolved, but I'll still attempt to clarify one
point:

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 11:10, paul.downey@bt.com wrote:
> In WSDL 1.1. use='encoded' indicated two separate things:
>
>  - a restriction on the schema in the WSDL (no attributes, etc)
>  - graph encoding (possible replacement of an element with id/idref)
>
> AIUI the first will be covered in 2.0 by operationStyle=~/RPC/.
>
> It is the second feature i'm puzzled by: what in WSDL 2.0 indicates how
> the infoset is encoded/decoded on the wire. I'd imagined that a binding
> specific 'encodingStyle' would identify which serialiser to employ:
> XML text, XML binary, MTOM, ASN1, section5 or whatever.

The serializers above come from different levels here. SOAP Encoding
tells you how to get piece of graph data and serialize it into an XML
Infoset tree. XML text and MTOM take that Infoset and serialize it into
bits. ASN1 is foreign to me, can't tell then.

encodingStyle in WSDL 1.1 meant to say that the XML Schema kinda
described the data and the encoding then serialized the data into XML
Infoset using its own rules, not XML Schema rules. AFAICS, there was no
mechanism in WSDL 1.1 to say that the infoset should not be serialized
as plain XML text but as MTOM-optimized XML, unless a new SOAP transport
(or a new SOAP binding) was devised for that purpose.

In WSDL 1.2 it can be a new SOAP binding or a feature of the SOAP
binding we provide. The WS-Desc WG and XMLP WG will to coordinate on
this.

Hope it helps,

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   Systinet Corporation