RE: Correction for the f2f Minutes (Also action 2004-01-30 for Jonathan)

Thanks for the work on this Umit.  One reason I didn't complete the
action is that I had some doubts about your correction that required
more research.

My initial recollection was that we were making it possible to reuse
<wsdl:service> in the body of a message as one way to indicate a service
reference.  I've been checking some of my personal notes on the topic
and they concur with the minutes as they were posted.

As I recall, the schema prevented <wsdl:service> from being reused
because it wasn't a global element.  We made it global to remedy this,
made the rest of the top-level elements global for consistency, and
opened an issue on whether @name should be optional.  This issue
wouldn't make much sense if we were depending on the wsdl:Service type.
Roberto's proposal was not adopted, but provides some good scenarios
which might be useful in developing the primer topic illustrating the
reuse of <wsdl:service/>

It would be more than a typo to change <wsdl:service> (which is clearly
an element) to "wsdl:Service type" in the resolution.  However, it
doesn't seem that the illustration of <wsdl:service> in the primer
prevents one from deriving an element from wsdl:ServiceType if that's
what you wanted to do.

We've got the topic of this correction on the FTF agenda - I hope we can
treat it as a historical question and not as a design review :-).

On
> Behalf Of Umit Yalcinalp
> Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 6:32 PM
> To: WS Description List
> Subject: Correction for the f2f Minutes (Also action 2004-01-30 for
> Jonathan)
>

> We have taken the decision to include a paragraph to the Part 1
> Specification regarding service references. However, there was a typo
in
> the recording of the decision made in [1]. This email is intended to
> clarify this situation for Jonathan [4].
>
> We have made two decisions as recorded and numbered here for
reference:

> (1) RESOLVED: Add a paragraph in the spec describing that
<wsdl:service>
> can
>           show up on the wire as a service reference.  Primer will
have
> some
>           examples (see Roberto's counterproposal as a basis).
>
> (2) RESOLVED: Make top WSDL elements global in the schema to
facilitate
> reuse.
>
> The first resolution is in error due to a typo. The minutes should
have
> been recorded as wsdl:Service, instead of wsdl:service.
>
> The reason this typo creates a confusion is due to the second
resolution
> that was taken that day. Prior to the f2f meeting, we did
> not have the WSDL components represented as top level elements in the
> schema.  The components were only represented via their types. Per
> resolution 2, components became top level elements and schema has been
> changed to reflect this decision.
>
> Prior to implementing Resolutions 1 and 2, the schema did not contain
> the global "wsdl:service" element, only "wsdl:Service" type. This fact
> alone is enough to illustrate the typo. The schema showed that each
WSDL
> component type named with a complexType declaration using the
convention
> in naming, such as "wsdl:Interface", "wsdl:Service", etc. as shown in
[2].

> Per resolution 2, the names of the complexTypes have been changed to
> "wsdl:InterfaceType", "wsdl:ServiceType", etc. with the addition of
top
> level elements that are defined using these types, such as
> "wsdl:interface", "wsdl:service" etc. as shown in WSDL Schema [3].
>
> The decision in the minutes must be changed to represent a service
> reference is by using wsdl:Service type (or a type derived from
> wsdl:Service) to reflect the naming in the schema at the time [2] or
> reflect the current name, the name of the type that is currently used
> "wsdl:ServiceType". This will avoid confusion.
>
> The whole point of the exercise was to get Schema derivations to
> statically lock in the interface and/or bindings in the type that is
> illustrated by Roberto's proposal. Further, schema derivation can not
be
> achieved using anelement that the typo seems to suggest. Hence it must
> be corrected.
>
> As a matter of fact, those present at the discussions & presentations
> that were relevant to this topic, would remember that wsdl:Service
type
> was frequently referred to as the "Big-S-Service", and created enough
> giggles in the room while Arthur was giving our presentation during
the
> previous f2f [5]. ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> --umit