From: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-desc-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Bijan Parsia
Sent: 26 February 2004 06:45
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Subject: Dublin Core for Version metadata

In the discussion about a version attribute, we've been focused on
adding a version *identifier* to (I imagine) various parts of a WSDL
(the WSDL itself, an interface, bindings, etc.). I suggested that, if
possible, we shouldn't make up our own, but defer to some other
standard, specifically Dublin Core, and just provide some guidance
about how to use it.

I believe the current canonical set of Dublin Core terms is:
	http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/

Most of the explicit versioning vocabulary are element refinments on
dc:relation:
	http://dublincore.org/documents/usageguide/qualifiers.shtml#isVersionOf

so, isVersionOf, hasVersion, isReplacedBy, and replaces. Note that
versioning here is entirely *relational*, i.e., these elements express
various version relations, but do not express the "Degree" of the
relation, i.e., whether something is a "minor" or "major" version. One
could introduce such further refinements (and those refinements are
trivial to express in RDFS and OWL).

Furthermore, I *think* it's in the spirit of dc;identifier to use it
for version identifiers as well. Well, at least, it seems bendable in
that way:
	http://dublincore.org/documents/usageguide/elements.shtml#identifier

There are "official" XML schemas for expressing dublin core metadata:
	http://dublincore.org/schemas/xmls/

And there are similar RDFS schemas as well.

Working through all this, my thought is that the current DC terms don't
exactly, as they stand, replace the various proposals floating about,
but they do provide a reasonable starting place. Personally, I'd rather
see what ever proposal we thought we needed actually expressed in the
Dublin Core framework, with whatever extensions necessary. Those
extensions are unlikely to be WSDL specific and could end up stewarded
by DCMI.

It seems that something like this would be very useful for the W3C as a
whole. Many groups keep reinventing version properties, e.g., the OWL
working group:
	http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-owl-ref-20040210/#VersionInformation
They should have known better :)

It doesn't have the charm of  the simple quick bit of text that was the
original proprosal. But I think something reasonable can be done. I'd
be happy to work on it, edit a submission, and liase with DCMI.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.